1985 VRO 140 Evinrude stalls on initial reverse

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've owned this motor for 5 seasos now and for the most part she runs well. My problem is that when I start the engine(starts right up every time)and let her run for about 2 minutes or so. 9 out of 10 times she will just stall out when I engage it in reverse. Also stalls when I put her in forward. Once she gets going and is up and running, she has plenty of power and runs great. Also, it seems that if I let her warm up at the dock and then shut her down for a half a minute or so, when restarted, the idle seems a bit rougher and she definitely stalls out. Tried switching from 87 octane gas to 89. This problem became more apparent last season. The first 2 -3 seasons never saw this problem. New plugs. Plugs are dry. Is it true that these engines (vro)<br />are notoriously known for flooding out. Your help is greatly appreciated

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1985 VRO 140 Evinrude stalls on initial reverse

I've owned the same motor since new and never experienced the stalling you refer to. It's not typical, so I think you need to track down the cause. You can forget 89 octane ... your motor will run fine on 87 and your wasting money using higher octane fuels. Make sure you have no water in the tanks, no air leaks, etc. Check all the simple stuff first and don't start replacing stuff until you know the cause.

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1985 VRO 140 Evinrude stalls on initial reverse

clean your carbs and bump your idle up 100 rpm