1985 OMC 800 stringer with 350 chevy small block

Dixiels

Recruit
Hello, I just accidentally found out that there is a seperate tilt for my engine, different from my sterndrive. What is the reason for it? Or what do I need to know about it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You have a stringer. The tilt is only used to get the outdrive up. If you need to run the motor with the drive tilted up, only at idle (600 rpm). It will tear the ball gears up.

The trim is for adjusting the trim of the drive.

My guess this is a new to you boat. I suggest getting a factory service manual. You will need it, especially to replace the ball gears and the 3 piece vertical driveahaft that will fail on you

southkogs

Staff member
Trim is on the front of the engine - where it mounts. Tilt is in the back at the intermediate housing, typically a pain to get to.

Otherwise, "what Scott said."

Dixiels

Recruit
You have a stringer. The tilt is only used to get the outdrive up. If you need to run the motor with the drive tilted up, only at idle (600 rpm). It will tear the ball gears up.

The trim is for adjusting the trim of the drive.

My guess this is a new to you boat. I suggest getting a factory service manual. You will need it, especially to replace the ball gears and the 3 piece vertical driveahaft that will fail on you

Yes, this is a new to me boat, I grew up on outboard motors, and this outdrive stuff is different. But thank you, I will def get the service manual.