1985 Omc 3.8 V6 I/o

logartist

Cadet
Just bought an '85 Galaxie SST 18' powered by OMC 3.8

Engine runs great, and hull is in great shape, with spruced up paint and 3 coats of new clear. New vinyl, matching bimini. BUT...(there always is one) it had bad gas in the port side tank (chunks of disintigrated sending unit coil like crystaline sand on the bottom, etc.) I siphoned the tank, pulled it, dumped out most of the crap, then used a rag to trap the rest near the fill hole and sucked it out with a shop vac. After all that, it still has crap in it, so I'm thinking of filling it with water and cutting off the top, cleaning it out and tig welding it back together. (its about a 10 gal. aluminum tank)

On top of all that, and replacing the fuel filters, and rebuilding the carb, it has other problems. It was refusing to idle before the carb kit and an idle adjustment, but now it cuts out if I throttle down too quickly. This problem is intermittant, though, and happens less and less as I run her more. Also, the throttle control lever won't pull out into neutral position to throttle up when I don't want to engage the drive. (not a necessary function, but useful when testing the engine out of the water) Additionally, the bilge pump doesn't seem to work, nor do the trim and tilt. Fortunately, the trim seems to be stuck in the bow-down position, which is better for Clearlake's (nor-cal) often-choppy waters and cutting the wakes of larger craft.

So...I seem to have bought a problematic boat made by a defunct manufacturer, with a motor and outdrive from a defunct manufacturer. Is she a lemon? Worth the trouble to correct all that's wrong? Paid $3200 w/trail-rite trlr.

Last edited:

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1985 Omc 3.8 V6 I/o

Sounds like a good looking boat with a dysfunctional driveline. Don't know how much I can tell you but I would get that shifter working. I wonder if it's like mine, I have an OMC shifter. I had trouble with mine; I took it apart and greased all the areas that looked like it needed lubrication. It seems to work fine now. I wonder if this boat sunk at one point (new upholstery, paint, bilge don't work, shifter problem, fuel tank, carb).

I imagine you have the hydraulic trim system? I know the V6 came with them, could have the jack screw setup I guess. I would try to fix it; you'll like having it working. Might be something simple to fix like the fuse or connectors. Probably related to the shifter problem, do you have the trim button on the shifter? Bow-Down so the motor is up all the time. Good for ride or pulling skiers but you will get better economy and more speed being able to trim the boat by getting more of the bow out of the water.

logartist

Cadet
Re: 1985 Omc 3.8 V6 I/o

Yeah, she does look good. She's my first boat, and I guess having to go through everything is a good course in marine maintenance for a new boater.

About her having sunk before, it's a one-owner boat (before me) and its not a salvage title, but if it was in the shallows and he retrieved it himself, I guess its possible with all the repairs done.

Apparently the trim is done by the whole block tilting on the engine mounts...at least that's what I was told...I'm uneducated about such things. When I press the trim buttons on the shifter, there is an electric motor sound like something is trying to work, but no movement. I haven't done it with the engine box open to watch. Aside from the fuel system all I've done to her is change the outdrive lube.

She shows potential despite her flaws. Runs just past 40 with the bow stuck down & accellerates fast enough to ski/board. I guess I might get a decent return on my investment afterall...if I can resurrect more parts than I replace. New trim and tilt motors, a new bilge pump, a new shift cable, controls...could get expensive quick.

Question: Turning to port takes considerably more effort on the wheel than turning starboard. Is this due to increased torque from the trim being down, or will a tilt adjustment fix it...or both?