1985 Mercury BlackMax 150hp-XR2 Tilt Trouble

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice
Merc ID 6952167

I was lucky enough to come across a friend that needed to move a boat and I aquired it. It's a 1985 Kingfisher with this motor on it. In 2002 the owner got stuck on a sand bar and over done it trying to get off of it and damage the transom. It's been parked since. So thats 7 years. I get it home and I know a thing or two on outboard motors and starting checking it out. I pulled the plugs they where clean as a whistle and the piston tops where silver. I instantly got excited. So I Fogged them cylenders and turned it over a few times. At that time I was going to let the motor down and the trim up or down the soilenoids just click. I tried putting power directly to the power wires to the motor and nota. no spark, noise, nothing. Used a test light to just test that the grounds where good and the silinoids where do what there suppose to and they where. This engine has the pump and hydro on the transom under the motor. It's been a while since I have been on this boards and I have lost a link that I think DonS posted that links to service manuals. I found some but I cant find anything on this engine or tilt so I can work on it. I'm not even sure the best way to break it down since it's not one I am use to working with. (Tilt that is) I usally work with the ones that mount on the side or in the boats compartments. On a good note after putting the spark plugs in and sprayings some fuel in the carb intakes....bump of the key it turned over so thats a great sign for the engine. Now just for all the normal maint. and check to prevent something from poping up. I'm sure the carbs are possibly gummed since the fuel line was still hooked to the motor.

Also this engine's cover says its oil injected. I havent found a resivor for this. Any thoughts?

Last edited: