1985 Mercury (A103121) not "peeing" from tell-tail

RickyRegs

Seaman Apprentice
Just want to see an order of things i should look at troubleshooting.
I took off the cowl and unhooked the hose that runs from the top of the engine to the tell-tail and it was not clogged.
Where do i go from here?

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1985 Mercury (A103121) not "peeing" from tell-tail

water pump

RickyRegs

Seaman Apprentice

is there a way to make sure it isn't clogged somewhere else along the line?

Mi duckdown

Commander

Replace the waterpump impellar for starts. When was the last time it was changed?

RickyRegs

Seaman Apprentice

sounds like a good place to start. i assumed replacing the impeller would be a good place to start, but was concerned the impeller would be included with a water pump. would i buy the parts separately? Impeller definitely hasn't been replaced on this motor since at least before Spring 2008 (when wife's G.pa gave us this boat so we had a good inshore salt marsh creek/ICW fishing boat).

I know impeller replacement has been part of my yearly routine maintenance on my 2006 200 Merc i have on my 240 AuqaSport, but i never do that maintenance myself. I figured the best place to start learning to do this stuff on my own is on the older engine i care a little less about screwing up. Is this something that should be done yearly? If so, would the fact it is at least 3+ years old give it a good chance at being the problem?

Mi duckdown

Commander

The impellar is part of the waterpump that moves the water. not neccesary to replace complete pump. 25 bucks. An OEM Merc Service Manuaul for Both motors, Will save you big Bucks.

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class

Inshore salt marsh creek is a tip about replacing the whole pump or just the impeller, and being in there so long, you'll probably need the whole pump. In the housing is a stainless steel cup that actually houses the impeller, and a bottom plate of stainless steel that the impeller rubs on. Wear rings develop on the surfaces of the upper side of where the impeller rubs and on that bottom plate. If your pump interior has these wear rings, as I suspect it will. replace the whole pump.

All this is because of inshore shallow water, sand, and salt water going through the pump All of my work is from salt water boats. I've yet to see a water pump that didn't have those wear rings, that allow for less water pressure.

Have a hand torch standing by to heat the bolts before removing. If they don't turn out easy, a minimum of a MAP gas torch is recommended, I use acetylene.
Breaking off the head of bolts is common in salt water engines, by those not familiar with them. If using a torch bothers you, get it done by someone else, should any of the bolts not want to come out, or you break one.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

What kind of motor are we discussing? V6 motors don't have a telltale until they warm up, which thy might not do when oerated on a flusher.

Never the less it is probably time to change the waterpump impeller. As was cited inspect the pump cover and replace if necessary. Always replace impeller, wearplate and all gaskets.

Mine was doing this the other day, thought it was the impeller but I had just taken in some debri, when I flushed with air it was working again.

RickyRegs

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Bob - good info.
Chris - it is on a V6 - it is an inline 4. It typically has a telltail almost immediately in the water or when it is hooked up to water flushing.