1985 Mercury 50HP 2-Stroke - Tach Recommendations

joewg3

Cadet
Hi All - I have a 1985 Mercury 50HP 2-Stroke on my 16' Alumacraft. I'd like to install a tach on my console. I'm reading conflicting info on what actually works properly. I have a basic tach with the wire that winds around the #1 plug wire on an old 14HP Evinrude, but I've seen these may not work with my motor. Any recommendations? I'm new to Outboards in general. Thanks!

merc850

Commander
You need an Alternator Driven Tach that connects to one of the yellow leads from the alternator, this is the standard tach today. They sell some on this site
I went to a Merc dealer and got a "pull" for a few dollars 20 yrs. ago and It's still working.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Hi All - I have a 1985 Mercury 50HP 2-Stroke on my 16' Alumacraft. I'd like to install a tach on my console. I'm reading conflicting info on what actually works properly. I have a basic tach with the wire that winds around the #1 plug wire on an old 14HP Evinrude, but I've seen these may not work with my motor. Any recommendations? I'm new to Outboards in general. Thanks!
I have the same motor and you'll need a tach that will work with a 12-pole stator.