1985 Mercury 115 tower of power

merc115purple

Recruit
Hi,
I just started up my 1977 tower of power. Telltale was blocked, have cleared since. My question is do I have water leaking into a cylinder based on how much water is coming out of these two ports?

Video attached.

Thank you 🙏

Attachments

• IMG_7710.MOV
    31.1 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I moved your post from an inactive old thread to your own. please read the rules you agreed to when you signed up.

regarding your motor. being a used motor. you should be servicing the cooling system with a new raw water pump, pressure testing the gear box, verifying compression, and cleaning the fuel system prior to using the motor.

merc115purple

Recruit
Thank you, noted for future posts.
Next job will be replacing impeller / plate / gaskets etc. I cleaned the fuel system but didn’t go as far as replacing the floats which is also on the list, as well as fuel pump diaphragm. Thanks again

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Those square ports are for idle pressure relief. They allow water to exit the powerhead, when the motor is in the water in neutral.

The carb floats are a normal replacement item. The original floats were a yellowish hard foam. These tended to dissolve in today's fuel that contains alcohol. Replacement floats were hard white plastic. Check those for cracks and to make sure the small springs are intact and not rotted away.

Set the float height properly as well, and use a fresh 50::1 fuel mix when adjusting the idle mixtures on the carbs. Idle mixtures must be set in the water, motor warmed up and in gear. Idle mixtures are set rich enough to allow proper acceleration, but lean enough to allow decent idle.

merc115purple

Recruit
Those square ports are for idle pressure relief. They allow water to exit the powerhead, when the motor is in the water in neutral.

The carb floats are a normal replacement item. The original floats were a yellowish hard foam. These tended to dissolve in today's fuel that contains alcohol. Replacement floats were hard white plastic. Check those for cracks and to make sure the small springs are intact and not rotted away.

Set the float height properly as well, and use a fresh 50::1 fuel mix when adjusting the idle mixtures on the carbs. Idle mixtures must be set in the water, motor warmed up and in gear. Idle mixtures are set rich enough to allow proper acceleration, but lean enough to allow decent idle.
Thank you! Much appreciated, will add those to the checklist. Ignition is playing up today so now I have to trace the issue from the starter/solenoid/key ignition etc

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A 1977 IL6 ignition system will have battery powered CDI with a distributor. There must be +12VDC on the white wire, next to the red wire, at the switchbox. The red wire has voltage all the time, the white, only when the ign switch is on or start.