1985 johnson decarb

briceoz

Cadet
So i recently bought an 8hp '85 johnson. after a few initial problems ( cdi needed to be replaced) its still running a little rough, and i am thinking about running seafoam through it. but i dont know if it has ever been decarbed and am leary of what may ahppen if i do it? suggestions?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1985 johnson decarb

Do it. If you have carbon sticking the rings it will help. I use the spray seafoam in the smaller outboards and I let it soak for 24 hrs in the cylinders. Pull it a bunch of times and clear it out then re-install the plugs and start it. While it is running spray seafoam into the carb until the engine just about stalls and do that a few times and run it. After this procedure is done then install new plugs.

It is a healthy thing to do.

Pull the flywheel and make sure there is no gunk, dust or debris under the flywheel. The pick-up assembly is sensitive to dirt and the gas/oil fumes tend to coat the electronics........ spray them off with an electronics cleaner too.

Small motors are fun.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

And don't do it on a nice clean drive way. It will make a mess if you have much of a carbon build up.

rothfm

Ensign

There is a nice Sticky entry about decarbing. Give it a read-good stuff.

briceoz

Cadet

was thinking of runing it through the gas tank? has anyone found much of a difference between the two methods?

briceoz

Cadet

well. i ran Dunks decarbing method, and my motor now runs like new :)