1985 hp 50 picture or simular model

srussell28

Seaman
Could someone PLEASE take a picture of there 50 hp motor on the side with the tigger is, with no covers on. I need to compair to mine. TIA

srussell28

Seaman
Re: 1985 hp 50 picture or simular model

i would like to see how the adjustments screw are on the spark advance and the adjustments on the arm going to the trigger. To compair them to mine. I can't seem to get them close.I need a picture of the other side. thanks

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Here's a pic of the other size. Just remember that the timing it critical for the healh and performance of the motor. Adjusting them based on visual aids is not accurate enough. If you are having problems getting the linkage adjustments to work, have you double-checked to make certain that your TDC on the flywheel is accurate with the #1 piston and lines up with the pointer?

Click to see larger image

Smig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Like AMD said - bad timing can kill an engine so check carefully. The previous owner of my engine had set the pointer and the flywheel wrong - it looked like the timing would not go beyond TDC but in reality it was too far advanced - fortunatly he never got the motor running otherwise he would have burned it up. His mistake was assuming that the pointer should be set at TDC.

When you check TDC also check WHAT your pointer should be pointing at - I can't remember the exact value, but on one of my motors it is not TDC, there is another mark (.464" ??) on the sticker that it points at. If you can't get your pointer to the right place, then it's time to check your flywheel.

Since you are asking for a picture does that mean you don't have a manual? If not, get one - between that, Clams' timing post in the FAQs and this forum, you should be set!

Good luck
Shaun

srussell28

Seaman

Yes I'm having a hard time with setting the timing. I have 2 manuals, I have tryed what is writen in the faq in the site. I just wanted to see if someone had a picture of the screws so I could see if it's close. thanks for your help.

Smig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What are you having a hard time with? I just did my first ones this summer, so the learning curve is still very very fresh in my memory.

srussell28

Seaman

I have replaced the trigger, and know that the tdc is at 0, the carbs are set correct. I'm not sure about get the timing advance set correct, and all the adjustments on the arm. The manual says to set it at 34 to get 32. Is the real idle set at the acuator? Also how to set the linkage and cable.

srussell28

Seaman

that's the throttle linkage, and all the screws are turn all the way out.

Smig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your engine is newer than mine so it may be a bit different, but if you have the primary pickup and max advance screws all the way out then something is not right. I haven't done a trigger replacement so someone else may have to help here - but let me ask - are you sure you have the correct trigger and that it is installed correctly (that is if there even is a way to do it wrong?)

Have you followed Clams' Timing & Sync. FAQ one step at a time? Don't mix up steps with the manuals process, use Clams' only. What is happening when you set the primary pick up? What timing are you seeing with light?

To answer your idle question, yes, it is set at the throttle arm on the engine, but not until AFTER the primary and max advance have been set. Once everything is correct at the engine, then you reattach and adjust the throttle cable linkage.