1985 Force 85hp won't start

cjmike

Cadet
Hi everyone, we recently bought an 85 Bayliner Capri with a Force 85hp, model #856X5L. The previous owner hadn't used it much for the past couple years. It started on muffs when we looked at it, brought it home and put it in the water and it would start but wouldn't go into gear and stall right away. I pulled the carbs off and cleaned them out and found a broken float valve, i repaired the float and cleaned the needle valves, flushed the gas tank and ran it out of the water in a big tote box full of water. It ran great, so we put it back in the river and it ran great for a while then it started losing power and vibrating a bit, i think a cylinder wasn't firing properly anymore and gas was coming out of one of the carburators, and it would'nt start anymore, maybe one of the needle valves wasn't closing anymore as it was using alot of gas, we went thru about 4 gallons in about an hour and half. we'll be ordering a manual and some carb kits asap. Is there anything else i should do to get this motor running properly? Thanks everyone.