1985 Force 50 Servicing?

giterdone72

Seaman
Hi all,
First off Sorry for the long post. I am new to boats and purchased a 14' 1985 Bayliner with a Force 50 2 cyl outboard. I was a little intimidated being a first boat owner and knowing the boat needed 'some work'. After joining this site and following threads, I have gotten so much valuable info that I feel much more confident now. I have gone so far as to tear out and replace my deck/stringers and am now finishing glassing the deck.
The Force 50 to my knowledge hasn't been run in years. The guy I bought it from started it for a few secs(without water:confused:) for me after a few tries (battery was bad and may need a starter/soleniod) and it ran smooth but we obviously couldn't let it run for any time out of water. I just wanted to be sure it would run/could run.
Now that I am getting close to finishing the interior, I want to go through the engine to make sure it is ready. I changed the plugs, lower unit oil (which was very black) and need to replace the ignition switch which sticks because he had left the key in the ign and it rusted inside.
My question is what other parts should be replaced and what should I look out for? Are the impeller and thermostat maintenance parts that should be replaced due to sitting or should I get it running first and then wait to see if it 'pees'? I am mechanically inclined but new to outboards. Any advice is welcome-Thanks all :D
Steve

Last edited:

giterdone72

Seaman
Re: 1985 Force 50 Servicing?

Also the foam in the engine cover is falling apart and am worried it may get sucked into the carb so I will remove it before running with the cover on. Is this used as an air filter? does it need to be replaced and if so where can I get more?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: 1985 Force 50 Servicing?

Running the motor without any water is a big no-no. Replace the impeller before running the motor again.

The foam is there for sound insulation. Your concern about it getting sucked into the carb is well-founded. Remove all of it. It isn't particularly effective anyway.