1985 Chaparral Villain 2 Low End

Hello, My names matt, I recently picked up this boat, I've been slowly going through tuning it up and replacing some parts. 19ft boat. It has a 5.7L 350 260hp 4 Barrel Carb motor. 620 HRS.

I seem to be having issues with low end power...First I'll explain mods and what I've done.

Boat came with -
Edelbrock Intake
Quicksilver 25P prop
High Performance Headers

Tuned up - Or replaced so far
Starter
Plugs, Wires, Distributor Cap and Rotor
Cleaned arrestor/sprayed some carb cleaner down carb while running ran seafoam through gas
New Belts

So the boat starts and seems to run great after I get it going, WOT with the trim almost half way up is about 4500 RPMS at around 60 mph.

But, getting moving and up over plane is terrible 95% of the time, It sticks around 2000 rpms and then tends to even bog up, I have my buddy stand up on the front with me, this is with me 250lbs, him 180lbs, his wife 110lbs, and my lady 120lbs in the boat.

I'm thinking of rebuilding the carb, and I'm installing a hydrofoil before the next time I go out, I'm wondering if the prop is to big, or if maybe my carb needs to be rebuilt.

Once I'm over plane everything is great, but it seems to me that it is really struggling at low speeds...all help and any information is great, please no bashing or arguing in my threads.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: 1985 Chaparral Villain 2 Low End

4500 rpm at wot is ok, but probably too low. The 25p prop is most likely the reason. Hydrofoil is a bad idea and a waste of time. Find/borrow a 23p prop and see how it does.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Try a smaller prop,...

That big prop is like tryin' to drag race, in Overdrive...

Why's hydrofoil a bad idea? I've heard nothing but good things about them. 4500 wot is with the trim not even half way up though.....

I just bought this prop from a local, 48-825864 23P Tempest Plus prop, seems like a good prop. Anyone want to buy my old quicksilver 4813706a40 25P

So I changed the prop, wow what a difference, ran amazing....for about five minutes, then all of a sudden the motor just revved out and I stopped moving. Thought maybe we didn't tighten the prop and something got screwed up or lost the prop lol. But now it won't move, got towed in and can't figure out the problem, there is a bolt size hole in the back of the transom that goes through the outboard part, not sure what its called, letting water in. Also.....now when I start it and try and put it in gear it just dies. the prop doesn't spin but when its off and in gear it clicks when turned one way and then stops when I turn it the other so I'm not sure what the issue is. Anyone can help?

Bondo

Staff member

So I changed the prop, wow what a difference, ran amazing....for about five minutes, then all of a sudden the motor just revved out and I stopped moving. Thought maybe we didn't tighten the prop and something got screwed up or lost the prop lol. But now it won't move, got towed in and can't figure out the problem, there is a bolt size hole in the back of the transom that goes through the outboard part, not sure what its called, letting water in. Also.....now when I start it and try and put it in gear it just dies. the prop doesn't spin but when its off and in gear it clicks when turned one way and then stops when I turn it the other so I'm not sure what the issue is. Anyone can help?

Ayuh,... Pull the drive, 'n bench test it...
Inspect the coupler...

Drives are new to me any help on what to look for. My buddy and I will be tearing it apart this week