1985 A1: Water in Gear oil. ...Best Fix Questions.

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Twas such a beautiful season: something had to go wrong, I guess.
I Just winterized the motor yesterday, and I moved to the Outdrive. Sure Enuf- Green Milk came out of the upper vent plug. So, I just tightened it back up, and now Im wondering the best course to go from here.

Ebay has a Few really nice complete units in the $500-$700 range.
I could Rebuild if its not TOO complicated or needed TOO many tools.

Cost is a Big factor here as a baby is on the way.

So- who has what recommendations? Who would do it for me? 8)

Thanx everyone, your all such a giant help.
Jon.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 A1: Water in Gear oil. ...Best Fix Questions.

It would cost the $500 to $700 just in tools....
I would pull the drive & see if there was water in the bellows for starters....
If there is no sign of water, drain the gear lube & pressure test to locate leak.....
You will need to decide on whether to go new or have the old one repaired/resealed.....
You can pick up brand new after market ones on ebay for about $1200........JK

Bondo

Staff member

1st thing to Do is get the Water Out of it,+ Freshened with some Clean oil.........
You Don't want anything getting Rust Pitted........

Personally,..... I'm a Mechanic,.........
And I send mine out to a guy who builds these things Everyday,......
Then does a few in his garage later,....
That's where Mine are done,+ Yes, he treats me Extremely Fair.........

If you could find Him,........
It's Way Cheaper than the Tools to do it Right,..............

Unless of course,... You just want the Learning Experince,..................
And a garage full of Tools you'll hopefully Never Use Again...............

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, thats kinda what I thought. Ill dump in fresh oil (as soon as it stops raining)

How hard is it to pull the drive? Do I need to have it re-aligned to install it again?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You want to know if you should buy tools to rebuild an outdrive, when you don't even know how to take one off a boat? ? ? ? ? ? ?
You need to spend some time reading a service manual and understand what is actually going on. Engine and drives aren't toys that every yeh-hoo in the world can fix with a hammer, screwdriver, cresent wrench, roll of duct tape, a can of WD40 and a Swiss Army knife.
Drives are a serious piece of precision equipment, if not rebuilt properly, they won't last.
And believe me, buying the cheapest thing you can find because someone you don't know says it's perfect is a great way to buy JUNK and be out a lot of money.

Here is a link to a FREE online OEM Mercruiser service manual for you drive.
READ IT.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you Don S.

I do apologize, I shouldve stated that I HAVE LITTLE EXPERIENCE WORKING ON MARINE EQUIPMENT, ITS ALL BEEN ON CARS; THATS WHY I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!
so, I will post that at the beginning of every Thread That I start in here from now on.

I have the clymers manual, but of course, its vague, and doesnt show enuf detail. When I cant get a straight answer from that, I come here. I know enuf people have experience about what really happens working on a boat, so they can give me the answer that I need. Hopefully I can gain some knowledge down the road, that I can pass on to another person who needs help. I like your sig Don, and thats why Im trying to do it RIGHT! Thanx for your scolding, Itll help a bunch in helping me get what I need done.

Thx 4D link.

Jon.

tommays

Admiral

I would just do a pressure test it could be a simple as a shift shaft seal OR it could be more

But finding the leak is the first step :)

Tommays

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well, I started draining (finally). But I doesnt seem as bad as I thought, maybe. just parts of the lube come out creamy.

However, It seems to be a really slow drain. Like its low or almost out of gear lube. its just a really thin bead of oil going into the bucket. I know its thick stuff, but is it supposed to be that slow?

Bondo

Staff member

You Did remove the Vent Plug as well as the Drain Plug,..??..??..... Right,.??

tommays

Admiral

I just put my oil pump in the vent hole and hand pump some air in it speeds thinks up a LOT :)

I still like to let it drain overnight so as much OLD oil drains out as is possable

Tommays

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class

bond-o said:
You Did remove the Vent Plug as well as the Drain Plug,..??..??..... Right,.??

Yep...And I let it drain overnight. I got about a quart out of it. I also removed the outdrive today. Thats an easy one!!! But That doesnt seem to be the only place where water is.
Theres some water in the upper bellows (the one where the shaft goes in) and after scooping out some of the grease, I noticed its got rust in it. The gimble (? ?) bearing seems to turn ok, maybe just barely starting to go. I think Ill replace that all anywayz, Better safe than sorry. Also, Im gonna have the Outdrive tested, Im sure theres a leak letting water in still.
This does look like it wont be as bad of a project as it couldve been.
But, I guess I still have one question: Where is the actual Forward and Reverse gears?? are they in the outdrive or somewhere up toward the back of the motor? I only ask, cuz at one point this summer, someone tried to shove it into reverse at about 25 mph. And this terrible grinding noise :'( ensued. Sooooo, I just wanna get in and make sure everythings good that way.