1985 75HP O.B. --> Bad Fuel Pump??

Parkstribe

Cadet
All:<br />Need a little help, please. My 1985 75HP Merc O.B. runs great after it starts ... excellent performance at all throttle levels. But, starting it is a little strange. If the motor sits for any length of time (e.g. overnight), the motor will start right up again but often sounds like only one of the two carbs is functioning. Within about 20 seconds, the motor dies (maybe fuel in carb bowl is now depleted?). Once it dies, the motor won't fire again until you give it a shot of starting fluid into the carb(s). As soon as it gets a shot of starting fluid, it'll fire right up and everything is fine. This starting problem occurs eventhough the inline primer bulb is firm/full of fuel. I have also noticed that it seems like there is some excess gas/oil mix in the bottom of the engine head. Not sure if that is a sympton of the problem or whether it is normal for this motor. My initial thinking was that maybe I have a weak fuel pump, but the fact that it often sounds like only one carb is functioning makes me wonder about that. This is a twin-carb, 4 cylinder engine. Is there a separate fuel pump for each carb? Anyway, any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated. I've only known about this forum for a week now and already know how valuable it will be to me ;) . Thanks in advance ... Fred.

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1985 75HP O.B. --> Bad Fuel Pump??

Fred, you got tired of working on the 'ZuZu and playing with the boat instead?? ;) <br /><br />If I recall your motor should have one fuel pump with a metal-mesh screen inside. You can take the outer filter cap off and blow the metal screen out with air. This'll also allow you to check for debris in the filter. If you don't have this style of pump, you may have the other type which has an external inline fuel filter. The diff should be quite obvious.<br /><br />It's possible you could have a 'sticking' float needle. It might be best to tear into the carbs and renew the carb fuel inlet needle, and seat. You can get 'carb packing' kits for the commonly needed gaskets etc when you tear into it. Sierra Marine or the Merc dlr would have what you need.<br /><br />You can find parts diagrams and pricing online at www.mercurypartsexpress.com or at www.dougrussell.com<br /><br />You can find cheap Sierra Marine parts online here:<br /><br /> http://www.boatfix.com/searchsierra.asp <br /><br />BTW at either the Doug Russell or Mercury sites, it'll be handy to have the model # ser # of the motor. You should find this on a metal or foil nameplate affixed to one side of the main transom clamp assy.<br /><br />Another thought, your motor has a solenoid-operated choke with linkage to both carbs; this linkage operates bellcranks on the carb which are not moving a butterfly but opening an enrichment circuit. I suppose if one of the 'choke' (enrichment) passages were plugged, it'd be very cranky at first start.<br /><br />Another thing to think about is that most Merc's like the bulb pumped up REAL hard, then you pump the bulb a bit more. And the choke assy only works as long as you hold down the choke button (or push in the key, depending on how your choke works). <br /><br />So, a good starting routine is to pump the bulb hard, run the fast idle lever up a reasonable amount, hold the choke in and crank until it hits.<br /><br />Keep choke on it and adjust the fast idle accordingly until the motor slows down a bit, indicating it doesn't want/need full choke.<br /><br />Your carbs have adjustable idle mixture needles, so you might try to richen them up a bit (CCW turn), and tweak in on the water, once warmed up and idling in fwd gear.<br /><br />Most Mercs including your 75 like to run on the rich side and tend to get a bit cranky when leaned out for extremely smooth running.<br /><br />Your motor doesn't have a thermostat, so will not get nice and toasty warm for that silky-smooth idle like your Trooper :D but when adjusted properly they're not too bad. <br /><br />Anyway, you'll probably want to tear into the carbs for a cursory inspection. Worst part of the whole job is likely getting all the stuff out of the way so you can get at the carbs!<br /><br />HTH..............ed

Parkstribe

Cadet

Ed!! I was just reading another one of your posts and figured it had to be you ... but figured there was no way it would be. As usual, you have give me some GREAT advice and some things to check out. I'll print out your response, put my waders on (boat is tied to the dock), pop the engine cover, and start my "treasure hunt". By the way, this motor is sitting on a 21 foot pontoon boat that the Trooper had NO problems pulling down the highway. I knew I was going to like this forum. Now that I know you are here too, I'm going to love this forum and learn a lot. Great to "hear your voice". Thanks again ... Fred.

Parkstribe

Cadet

Ed: One more thing ... I'm a litte amazed you didn't mention SeaFoam in your post to me. I use it religiously ever since you turned me onto it for the Trooper. I have all of my boater buddies using it too ... they love it. Thanks again ... Fred.