1985 60 hp johnson motor bogging from 30mph to10mph

vik 44

Cadet
Have a 1985 60 horse two stroke johnson motor that i recently picked up.when i got it it would not run until i cleaned out the carbs.now motor run idle is a little rough but will run.i can run the boat at a little passed idle speed fine with no problems.when i give it full throttle it will go to 30 mph for about 3 seconds and will drop down to 10mph and wont go any faster,will not stall.also on the bottom cylinder of the two stroje engeine the bottom cylinder/plug has oil on it and have changed the plug several times does not matter.dont know what the problem is stunned [please help]

scrampbell

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1985 60 hp johnson motor bogging from 30mph to10mph

Hey Vic, you have two jets that you need to clean out on each carb. One near the top, one near the bottom. You can gently poke a paper clip in there to clear out any gunk. Sounds to me like that will get you going.

If not, then first place to look next is the fuel lines/fuel pump.

vik 44

Cadet
Re: 1985 60 hp johnson motor bogging from 30mph to10mph

Cleaned the jets with a small wire and got alot of stuff out of them but the problem still.persists.The primer ball does not get preasure where the ball gets stiff does this maybe trigger the problem or could it be a float problem getting stuck.thanks for the reply