1985 50HP Evinrude Rough Idle

texacana

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought the boat a couple months ago. The motor is hard starting and when it starts it idles rough and dies, especially when I put it in gear (forward or reverse). I have to push the throttle quickly to give it enough gas, just to get the boat moving and stay running. At WOT the motor seems to run okay. It misses once in a while but it'll run all day long. When I get to my fishing spot and fish for a while, I can't just get up and go because the motor will not start. I have to crank it about 50 times before I can get it to run again. When I checked the spark plug it's wet with oil/gas... is that normal?? Is there an easy fix to this? Please help, thanks a lot!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1985 50HP Evinrude Rough Idle

Howdy Texacana. Not a very common set of symptoms, but sounds like a carb problem. . . low speed circuit on one or both carbs. Could also be too-high float settings.<br /><br />If your engine has the Quick-Start feature it may not be advancing the ignition as intended. <br /><br />You need a manual. Clymers #B736 covers your engine.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

texacana

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks J.B. Cornwell!!!!! Will the Clymer's B736 book specifically address the 1985 Evinrude 50HP or is it the same as the SELOC book that I just bought which is so general, I think it covers everything that OMC made. I'm still reading through the book and I find that to fix a certain problem it's done by trial and error. You know what I mean! If it's not this try this. If this checks good, do this.... Oh.. it's a headache but I am being patient. I know someone out there like you will, come up with a direct solution to this problem I'm having... Again thank you very much!!!!!

CanaTexa

Recruit

Dear TexaCana: Sounds like you have a minor adjustment problem with you Secondaries...listen to your wife and "BE HAPPY" ....happy with the boat and motor your have....*S*

clanton

Rear Admiral

Texacana what do you do in copperas Cove?

texacana

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Clanton, What am I doing in Copperas Cove you ask! well, that's where I live.... Do you have any suggestions for my OB motor problem? BTW, CanaTexa is my wife she's messing with me... so, you guys please don't mind her... I really need help with my OB... I'm fixing to start the carburator adjusting proccess... I hope I don't mess it up that bad...

texacana

Seaman Apprentice

Hey J.B. I made an attempt to adjust the carb on my OB.. The top carburator low speed adjustment is at full clockwise and tight. I lossened it up (CCW) and the engine sputtered, smoke and died. So, I put the adjustment at its original position Clockwise, full tight. I didn't even bother messing with the bottom carb. Anyone please help..... Thanks!!

clanton

Rear Admiral

I am guessing that you have compression and spark, from what you said about rhe carb idle screw, carb probley needs a good cleaning. When you clean insure all passages ways and pickup tube are open. Check fuel filter/screen, lines.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I am guessing that you have compression and spark, from what you said about rhe carb idle screw, carb probley needs a good cleaning. When you clean insure all passages ways and pickup tube are open. Check fuel filter/screen, lines.

JB

Howdy Texacana. Clanton is right. Overhaul the carbs and fix what someone before you probably did. There is a delrin retainer in the keyhole passage for the low speed needle. My guess is that someone removed the needle and when reinstalling it pushed the retainer down the hole preventing the needle from being properly adjusted (usually about 1 turn off the seat). <br /><br />The Clymer manual, by the way, addresses this carb and explains differences in years and models on which it is used. You should have no difficulty overhauling the carbs using it.<br /><br />Good luck and let us know how it goes.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

texacana

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Clanton and J.B. Cornwell, I really do appreciate all the very helpful suggestions. Yes, my motor does have sparks and both compressions are good... The spark plugs are marine plugs by "Champion". The spark plug cable according to my mechanic is an automotive spark plug cables.. I have him order the right cables for me. It hasn't arrived yet though.. Anyway, I'll buy the carb kit online and will try to do the carb overhauling myself. I'll also try to get the Clymer's book. Do you (JB) have any idea where I can get one. <br /><br />I took the boat out yesterday... As usual it's hard starting... and when it starts it idles rough.... I have to pull the choke handle almost half way up to keep it running at idle.. With the boat running rough I can't concentrate on my fishing.. As usual I got skunk again...
smile.gif
...<br /><br />BTW guys, everytime after I used the boat there's a puddle of oil right below the carb and since the OB is tilted up, the oil drips into the boat backwash well.... I think my motor is not burning all the fuel and its spitting it out through the carb.

JB

AHA!! Glad you mentioned that, Texacana. That little puddle could be telling you that you have a reed standing open, or even chipped, or that one of your floats is set too high. Either would give you symptoms similar to what you describe.<br /><br />Auto parts stores and Marine supply stores carry Clymer manuals. Try Pep Boys, NAPA, or your local Marine Supply store.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB
smile.gif

texacana

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks J.B.!!!! I should have mentioned that puddle earlier.... I really didn't think that it's of any significance. Duh!!! my mistake! Anyway, I like the "AHA!!" part of your response... You sound so confident that I felt the problem was already fix... <br /><br />Will the carb kit includes the "reed" or do I have to make a separate purchase for that? I realy don't have any idea... Is there a place where I can buy a complete rebuilt carb? Just a thought...
smile.gif
<br /><br />I really do appreciate the help you provided... Again I thank you very much....

JB

You don't even want to know the price difference between a kit and a carb, Texacana. Pull the reed plate and inspect it before you buy new reeds. Some of us oldsters would flip a curved reed over and reinstall it to save bux for bait, but the real pros frown on that.<br /><br />Good luck. Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

texacana

Seaman Apprentice

I might do the same thing J.B., just flip the reed If I could to save some bucks... I'm fixing to order the carb kit online. I hope it doesn't take a genius to rebuild a carb. I'm kind of a novice when it comes to an outboard... I'll keep you posted... Again thank you....

texacana

Seaman Apprentice

I got the carb kits from a boat dealer in the nearby town. I don't think I can do the overhaul myself so I've asked a mechanic how much it would cost me for him to overhaul my carbs... He said around 120.00!! Is that reasonable? I also ask him how much to replace the impeller... That he said will cost 145.00.. Are the price he qouted a good price for the job... Thanks guys!!!

texacana

Seaman Apprentice

hey guys thanks a lot for all your help. I have the carb rebuilt and it's running great now. The idle is sweet and it doesn't stall anymore. Without all your help I probably wouldn't think of rebuilding the carb. Again thank you all...