1985 1800SS Hydra-Sports Live well and Electrical Info

DixieBoatN

Seaman Apprentice
Everyone,

I recently purchased a 1985 1800SS Hydra-Sports. It has a live well under the seat in front of the center console. The live well only has one hose hooked up to it and only has one hole in it to hook up a hose. From what I can tell, the hose runs back to a pump and then out of the stern. I thought that a true live well needed one line coming in hooked up to an aerator pump and usually dispensing into the well at the top of the well and a drain line going out? My line comes in at the bottom of the well and if you put water in the well, it just drains out of the rear.

Now, note that some previous owner cut the wires to the pump, so I do not yet know what happens if you turn that pump on. Once the rain here lets up later this weekend, I'll be hooking the pump back up and flipping the switch to see what happens.

Does anyone know how this system works?

Also, the trolling motor plug in the front does not work. No power is going to it, but I can't find where the wires come back into the fuse panel in the center console and they do not go back to the deep cycle battery. Does anyone know how this circuit was originally routed?

TIA!

humpy44

Recruit
Re: 1985 1800SS Hydra-Sports Live well and Electrical Info

Hey Dixie!
Have you had this boat in the water?? Might get a plug for your live well! Not real sure about this since I am new at this bass boat stuff, too. My aerator has a hose hooked up to it and goes to an air source. Think it just pumps air into the live well.

DixieBoatN

Seaman Apprentice

Humpy,

I have had it in the water and oddly enough, I don't get water over flowing out of the live well. I am embarrassed to say it, but I have not yet lifted the seat while the boat was in the water to see if there is water in the live well. The weather has been horrible here so far this weekend, but if it let's up tomorrow, I am going trolling. I'll check it then.

DixieBoatN

Seaman Apprentice

I have no idea what I was thinking or seeing, but I figured it out. The aerator pump pulls water in at the keel. It DOES come into the live well at the top of the well. The drain comes out in the trough at the stern just in front of the motor and eventually drains out of a scupper. You can put a plug in it right there where it feeds into the trough.

For the wiring, I just ran new 6 gauge wire from the trolling motor plug back to the deep cycle battery.

841800SS

Cadet

recently purchased a 180SS myself -how r u liking yours?-mine feels like one of the most stable rides i've had n a boat that size -havn't had the chance to really put it to the test but i'm sure it will take it -that kevlar hull feels like a peice of steel on the water:D--very dry ride as well-so far i'm impressed:)

DixieBoatN

Seaman Apprentice

I am really enjoying mine. It is a great riding boat. It takes the chop with ease! It is also VERY well built.

I can say that there is only one thing that bothers me and that is that the transom height is very short. When I come to a stop, I get a huge water fall that washes up to a line almost half way up the power head on my motor. It is not a problem, but just an annoyance. The transom dips down and accommodates a short shaft motor when, in my opinion, it should have been the same height all the way across and required a long shaft motor. This would have stopped the huge swell when you come to a stop. It doesn't cause any problems, so I can live with it.

It is truly a GREAT boat, though. The electrical was well planned and thought-out. It is clean and rides very dry. I plan to take it out into the ocean either in April or, for sure, May, so I will know more at that point. All-in-all, it is a great boat!

841800SS

Cadet

hey i dont know if its worth going thru but the guy that reconditioned mine raised the transom 5 inches- reinforced with kevlar matting the same as the rest of the boat and put a 25" 150 yamaha on it --i dont get any wash over unless i come to a very quick stop bout mid way up on plane --if u ever want to take a look at it i'm not far from columbia--i love mine so far --it makes an awesome striper boat and i can forsee many days pulling the family round behind it on the"hill"--i've got to come up with some kind of raised front deck for shrimping to make the throwing a little easier-guess i got a few months to work that out :D

DixieBoatN

Seaman Apprentice

I appreciate the offer and if I end-up having any transom problems (doubtful given how SOLID these boats are) I will consider raising the transom. Right now, I just deal with it as it doesn't seem to cause any problems. Also, I am not yet ready to incur the expense of a long shafted outboard since my Mercury V150 XR2 still smokes! :D

I live on Lake Murray, so it is perfect as a striper boat and gets used for it. I also did some crappie fishing out of it last weekend. I just need to add some rod holders. Mine came with a Mercury branded trolling motor that works GREAT!

Are you on the coast? (I am guessing since you mentioned shrimping) If so, how well has yours performed in the shallower marshes? It doesn't seem to take much water to float these boats, but I have not tried to run too shallow. I am hauling it up to Cape Hatteras, NC next month and I am wondering what to expect from it. I hope to get some flounder fishing and maybe some slightly offshore fishing in on it.

Let me know if you raise the front platform as I'd like to see how it turns out!

841800SS

Cadet

yeah i wouldn't want to go through that myself either(raising transom)--but luckily it was already done -it also got a fresh coat of paint -white inside-light blue on hull n dark blue bottom paint--i've got to say it has some really impressive lines and is right sharp looking-never did like the original decal scheme on em -just seemed too big (not knocking anybodys boat -just my opion:D)-i enjoy having people ask what kind it is then watching their jaw drop when they find out its a 84 model!!as for living on the coast -i wish!!- i'm stuck n edgefield county for a while -we do a litle fishn up on murray from time to time -but mainly fish clarks hill-u ever want to give the hill a try just let me know -we can usually get a few n the boat- good luck n nc -there is some awesome fishn u can get to n that boat- would have loved to had mine around last time i was there

samuels

Cadet

Can one of you men tell me the gas tank size on that 1985 18cc? I just got one and my guage isn't working right.26 gallons only moved it a quarter of a tank. Thank You

SkiffandCC

Recruit

I have the 18cc as well and am looking to repower.
What HP are you guys running that you are happy or unhappy with.
Should I just go Max?
I will look at My tank to see what the Volume is.

samuels

Cadet

Thanks SkiffandCC.I have a 90 johnson on mine and it's more than enough.Seems to be about the right hp motor for smooth water.If it's wavy it will give you a bouncy ride wide open.I appreciate you trying to find out gas tank size for me.

olds442111

Cadet

I know this is a really old thread, but Im fairly certain mine holds 30 gallons of fuel