1985 157 Forester Phantom Sport steering assembly

Secondwind2022

Recruit
Hi, the steering seized and will not budge right or left. I've decided to just install a new steering cable & gear box. My motor is a 75HP Mercury 1985. I've not seen any steering boxes (mechanisms) online which look like the one I have.

At first I considered just replacing the cable, however, it did not appear to be independently removable and I didn't want to damage it trying. I'd be interested to know if it can be removed though.

I'm not stuck on a duplicate to my original but if I could find one I'd go for it as I know there's be no issues in compatibility the one I have has lasted almost 40 years!

Are these new steering assemblies motor specific? From some photos I've seen the cable rod looks shorter than mine but it's length is not noted.

That said I just want a new steering system which will work on my boat. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Photo is or my original gear box. I looked for a part number or manufacturer but found no identifying info.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4503.jpeg
    IMG_4503.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 5

stresspoint

Ensign
best option is to buy a complete new rack cable assembly , that way you can be sure every thing is compatible ,.

Secondwind2022

Recruit
Hi, are new cable assembly cable rod universal fit or are these units motor specific? Also can you reccomend a source for these assemblies?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... They're basically universal,....
I believe iboats sells steerin' gear,....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I would expect a standard rack and pinon steering system will replace that. You may need to modify the cutout in the dash, as the new rack may not be compatible with your pinon or housing.

Just so you know, steering system OEMs seem to want to phase out selling replacement cables. They want to sell whole systems, likely as it is less liability if the replacement cables are not the correct ones, the pinons are worn out, installation is incorrect, etc. and someone gets hurt.

Whole systems are just a small amount more than replacement cables.

Secondwind2022

Recruit
I would expect a standard rack and pinon steering system will replace that. You may need to modify the cutout in the dash, as the new rack may not be compatible with your pinon or housing.

Just so you know, steering system OEMs seem to want to phase out selling replacement cables. They want to sell whole systems, likely as it is less liability if the replacement cables are not the correct ones, the pinons are worn out, installation is incorrect, etc. and someone gets hurt.

Hi, I am replacing the entire steering assembly. I'll likely get an assembly which included the steering wheel as the ones steering boxes I've considered do not appear to be compatible with my wheel. Also found the in order to remove and or install the shaft end of the cable to my motor I will have to remove the motor. I only have about 10" space to pull out the rod. My rod is a few inches longer. To remove the cable & steering box to get a precise measurement I cut the cable near the beginning of the rod so at the least I now was able to measure it. The thru hole at the motor well which contains the power cables etc., is not inline with the cable rod at the motor. In other words when the rod is pulled out half way it hits side of my fiberglass motor well. The thru hole is a few inches away. It's obvious that since the rod can't bend the only was it threads the motor shaft is the motor must be removed, rod inserted then motor reinstalled.
I think I have a workaround by drilling a hole through the fiberglass well inline with the rod bore on the motor. I can get a rubber thru-hole boot and spare myself removing the motor. The photo shows the rod hitting the side of the motor well and is only half way out.
Lastly, steering manufacturers seem to have inconsistent measuring methods. I wish they just showed their steering assembly in a drawing that shows the length(s) of the entire assembly, from center of rack to end of shaft. When I measured mine I measured from the meter of the gear box to the very end of the rod but seems some companies measure not to the end of rod but to the end of the plastic covered cable which is around 16" or more less than if measuring to the end of the rod.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4530.jpeg
    IMG_4530.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
In other words when the rod is pulled out half way it hits side of my fiberglass motor well. The thru hole is a few inches away. It's obvious that since the rod can't bend the only was it threads the motor shaft is the motor must be removed, rod inserted then motor reinstalled.

Ayuh,..... It's very common that the motor has to be lifted a couple of inches to swap the steerin' cable,.....
Especially those that use the tilt tube for the cable mount,....
'n be sure to grease the 'ell outa the tilt tube/ cable interface,.....

Secondwind2022

Recruit

I've learned a lot working to replace my steering assembly. First off most of the info I got from sellers was wrong! After giving them the specs of my existing steering rack & cable I was told I could replace just the cable. Well, although I had already decided that I had to replace the entire steering unit, a cable only was recommended. Wrong! My original steering system a Teleflex SSC10514 is a unit where the cable is integral with the gearbox and you cannot replace the cable. I was also told that with a particular steering unit they reccomended my steering wheel would certainly fit because that system had a "Universal 3/4" tapered steering shaft."Wrong again. Not only would it not mate with mine but the steering box would not fit either. When I called Customer support to more get info ( from some major sellers including ones many in this forum know well, hint) my call went to a voice mailbox, but... it was full so no help there. Email support even after I gave serial, model and every spec from my existing unit, including the length, I was asked to send photos and more details (duh, I had already done that). Email took three days
Ok, so I learned that many sellers today know almost less than I do which is not good and nothing is worse than offering the wrong advise. In other forums I was given dozens of recommendations, however, when asked if they ever replaced their steering the answer was "no but I I heard about replacing steering systems." I finally figured out what and where to buy and ordered all today. Hopefully no surprises once it arrives!