1984 Volvo-Penta Fuel Pump-Gas in the oil

RobertSch

Recruit
I have a 1984 Bayliner with a Volvl-Penta 305 cid and I keep getting gas in the oil pan. It started a fews years back when I started loosing power, hard to get it on the plain. Noticed a smell of gas when I checked the oil. Right away I changed the oil and fuel pump (suspected it was leaking through the monting area) and it ran great for the rest of the year. After setting all Winter the first or second trip out I noticed the same thing happening. Changed the oil and pump and all was right with the world the rest of the year. Two years later I had to replace my engine after learning a valuable lesson on changing the water pump impeller and ensuring all the mud and crap from the ohio river is flushed out before Winter. Boat set for a couple years and finally replaced engine. Got the new engine running and found gas in oil pan right away. Changed oil and replaced pump again. Only ran the engine for 3 hours before it time to winterize. This year I got it running only to find gas in the oil again. I know it's not the rings because it's a new engine. It idles fine and does not smoke so I don't think it's the carb. Plus the plugs do not seem to be fouling out. Everytinme this happens I notice it doesnt run as good and looses RPM's. After changing the oil and pump it always runs great. I also verified the push rod for the pump is 5.75" long as it should be and it has the plate that mounts to the block ahead of the pump. Any ideas anyone. If you can solve this by this weekend I will buy dinner.

Maclin

Admiral
Re: 1984 Volvo-Penta Fuel Pump-Gas in the oil

No answers for you yet, just more questions....

• What brand of fuel pump are you buying?
  • Is it a Marine type pump with the fuel/fume vent?
  • Do you have the vent plumbed up to the flame arrestor?
  • Is there fuel in the vent hose when this happens?

RobertSch

Recruit
Re: 1984 Volvo-Penta Fuel Pump-Gas in the oil

Maclin,

Carter Pump #M6793 (right application)
It does have the vent tube to the arrester, have not noticed any gas in tube, but their could have been. Figured it was just a vent, recently found out once diaphram fail it should go up the tube. Hope this helps