1984 V-6 OMC Stern drive

Nicco

Cadet
1st ?. I have a threaded hose type connector at the top of the stern drive, when starting the boat out of water, is this where you run water through or are you supposed to hook up the muffs on the lower part of the stern drive. <br /><br />2nd ?. When I am raising the stern drive via the tilt toggle switch on the console, is there supposed to be some sort of switch to stop the stern drive from crashing through the back of the boat.<br /><br />Thanks.

tmclendon

Seaman
Re: 1984 V-6 OMC Stern drive

OMC made a water hose attachment as an accessory for these units. It would be on the right side (facing forward), mounted on the intermediate housing, near the pivot. It looks like a male water hose nozzle, with a cap attached with a stainless steel 'beaded' chain. It came with an adapter (female-female) to let you attach a water hose. If that's what you are talking about it, yes that's for running the motor when out of the water. Not at full speed, of course, I would not exceed 1500 RPM or so with it.<br /><br />I'm not sure if there is an actual limit switch on the tilt, but I have an '83 OMC V-6 Stringer (bought new!) and it's not gone through the transom yet. It's quit working a time or 3 (you'll learn!), but never had a problem with it going too far. If you are worried, just let off the switch when it's tilted like you want it.<br /><br />Good luck!<br />Tom

Nicco

Cadet
Re: 1984 V-6 OMC Stern drive

Snake Bite,<br /><br /> Thanks for the information, I actually put the stern drive in a 35 gal container to check the water pump in the stern drive, I had never started the boat with "muffs" only with the adapter kit. It worked the temp got to 175 degrees, the next day I took it out on the lake and it did great. As for the tilting up I tilted it once in my driveway and I could here the fiberglass cracking when I reached the full upright position, I didn't hit hard but it seemed to not want to stop.