1984 OMC lose of power

Tomb77

Cadet
I have a 1984 OMC seadrive out board 1.6L. I got the boat this spring and was in running condition but the engine ran poor. Purchased a manual and went through everything I could think of and got it running good made several trips in the Atlantic around 30 mile out. Then about a month ago we went out and about 5 mile into the trip the motor started to bogie down would only get up to about ? rmp. Pulled the cowling off and check around and could not find any problem started out again and the same thing could only get ? speed. Took the cowling off and ran without it to look around and got full speed ran better than ever. This one has me stumped there is no problem with air flow I can see but the motor will just not run with the cowling on. There are no cables or wires pinched and it will run great with the muffler on in the drive way I know that does not mean anything. The idle is good starts up good just won?t run full speed with the cowling on. The motor seam good and sound everything works tilt and trim cables wire over temp warning no problems. Top end was redone 2 years ago and I mix my fuel 50 to 1. Any one got a subjection.

EN2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 OMC lose of power

You seem to have an exhuast leak,check power head to adapter gasket. Spray fogging oil or engine tune through carbs while running , look for where the smoke is.