1984 Mercury 50 Renovation

sturgeon

Cadet
I inherited a good running 4 cylinder 50 hp with good cylinder pressures, but I was wondering about what are the common things that it would take to upgrade it to tip top shape. Obviously rebuild the carbs, change lower unit oil, new water pump and plugs, but what else might be needed. I was debating running it until it breaks vs upgrading some of the electrical parts that might fail due to age and using the old ones as spares. Is it cost effective to upgrade the electronics or is that overkill? I use my boat with my family mostly so the "If it aint broke, then don't fix it" idea does not totally fly as I do not want to get stuck with the wife and kids if I don't have to. I have a 4 hp to get home on, but that can still make for a long day.

Also can you upgrade 1984 electronics to what was used on the last year this engine was made, only if different of course, which was the 1996 mariner magnum 40 hp. I think that was the last engine on the 4 cylinder block.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 Mercury 50 Renovation

if it aint broke dont fix it -is a good rule to live by -old or new they can all leave you stranded ,it's how prepared you are when it happens - a small kicker would be a better idea. have the ignition tested at a shop -if it's okay -do the regular maintenance , then run it til it's broke and use the kicker to get home .

saumon

Lieutenant

You could also add a fuel pump diaphragm kit to your list, cheap enough.

As for the electronics, wait till it fail, but it may also survive you...as previously said, rely on a kicker for safety. New electronics ain't cheap, like 200$ for the switchbox and around 100$ each for all the others parts like stator, rectifier/regulator, etc. For the 500$ that you'll throw in electronics, you can afford an almost new kicker.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

That's all good advice. If you heart is set on upgrading the motor then certainly some of the newer aftermarket components are good choices but the motor was meant to run the way it was when it was designed and built and changing it up at this point is probably going to lead to more headaches then leaving it as is.