1984 Mercury 3.0 I/O

Gary

Recruit
A friend just purchased a boat with a 3.O inboard. What type of oil do you use in the lower unit, how do you check and fill it? Thanks for any info.

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1984 Mercury 3.0 I/O

Hi Gary,<br />Use the brand of lower unit oil that is made<br />by the manufacture of the drive unit/motor.<br />If your local dealer wont tell you how to check it post what brand and year it is.<br />...corm

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1984 Mercury 3.0 I/O

Sorry Gary I don't seem to be able to see what I am looking at. hehe<br />Use Mercury lower unit oil. To check it,take<br />the lower oil plug out( towards the front of the lower gear case on the bottom of the bulge,it takes a medium screwdriver) and let a little oil drain out to see if there is any water or metal fileings in it.If none insert tube of oil in hole left by lower screw. Remove top oilplug(in the middle of the upper housing) roll the oil tube up like a toothpaste tube,when the oil comes out the top hole replace the screw (make shure the sealing gasket is there,on the bottom one also) remove the tube and replace the lower oil screw and your done.<br />If there is water or metal in the oil it's Dealer time.<br />...have fun...corm<br />ps: buy the oil in qts/an oil pump,much easier.
smile.gif