1984 Merc 7.5 LS pops up in reverse

hindsight

Cadet
Need help finding remedy to motor popping out of water in reverse under moderate throttle. Have searched high and low for manual lock down and adjusted trim pin to help get catch closer to pin, but just won't reach. There is a "cable" that is intentionally exposed about half way up the shaft that moves when the engine is placed in reverse, but it seems to be very sloppy and disconnected on the top end. That's what I've observed. Make sense to anyone? Advise?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1984 Merc 7.5 LS pops up in reverse

There is no manual lock, it's done when you shift into reverse by a cam and a link rod at the bottom of the driveshaft housing, just above the gearbox. The common thing it that the cam and link rod wear. Just need to pull the gearbox off and replace the cam and link rod.<br />This image even gives you the part numbers. :cool: <br /> <br />
watermark.php
<br /> <br />Chris............

hindsight

Cadet

Thanks a million, Chris. I haven't been able to find that image anywhere.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Unless you're a dealer you won't. :D It's from the parts manual CD.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Chris.............

hindsight

Cadet

achris, I nned some more of your brilliance...<br /><br />I've replaced the cam and rod successfully, I think, and it engages properly in reverse to lock the motor down. When the motor is placed in neutral however, it remains engaged. Won't this prohibit my tilting the motor up and out of the water when not in use? Have I done something wrong or am I just not thinking it through correctly?