1984 Merc 50 tiller outboard strator issue. Need Help

pcnut

Recruit
Hi to all. I have an issue and need some help on how to position/point the newer version stator on my 1984 Merc 50 tiller 4 cylinder. There are no markings on the newer strator on which position to bolt on. The newer version replacement looks nothing like the older obsolete version. Quick Silver Strator assembly 76314A 3
I have searched and have found no instructions and there was no instructions provide with the new stator. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Remove the flywheel after disconnecting the battery. You will notice on the old stator where the wires are coming out and mark that as close as possible to a place on your motor. Take the new stator and place it directly above the old one and try to reconcile where the allen screws match up and where the wires come out. That should be where the new stator is placed. Hope this helps.

pcnut

Recruit
Thank you Mercurylips.
The strators are very different. The obsolete one has only 2 coils on a metal plate, where the newer one has many.. The black stators mercury uses for many types of 4 wire applications. Now with the obsolete version, those 2 coil pointed dead center to the front of the outboard whereas the newer version lesves me scratching my head. Was told it does make a difference in the position it's placed as it does effect the amount of voltage generated. See where I'm stuck here?