1984 Johnson 70hp Reconnecting shift rod

chriscraftskier

Recruit
I have removed the lower unit from the engine while the controls were in neutral in order to replace the water pump. For once in my life, I decided to read on in the manual and figure out what had to be done to the shift rod in order to reconnect the lower unit - first mistake, should have left it as I found it. The manual said to adjust the shift rod to a specific height. After adjusting the shift rod height I went to reattach the lower unit but found that the shift rod was now too low be placed back in the shift linkage. I have since adjusted the shift rod to what appears to be the correct height, yet I still do not seem to have it lined up to a point where I can reinsert the bolt. Keep in mind that I have done this process while the motor remained in neutral.

Is there anyway to get enough in play in the shift linkage or shift rod to connect the two?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
STOP----------You need to adjust the shift rod height in nuetral when the lower unit is off.----------------Then you do not adjust it any more.------------It may go into reverse while installing it.------Does not matter.-------------You move the lever on the control box to line it up to put the pin in.

chriscraftskier

Recruit
STOP----------You need to adjust the shift rod height in nuetral when the lower unit is off.----------------Then you do not adjust it any more.------------It may go into reverse while installing it.------Does not matter.-------------You move the lever on the control box to line it up to put the pin in.

Racerone, I was able to get the lower unit and shift rod reconnected, the shift rod just needed to be dropped another turn (much easier to do in daylight)

In the past I tried to do just what you said and move the lever on the control box to realign the pin, but that limited my ability to go further along in forward or reverse.