1984 evinrude fuel pump

bbodin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone!
I have a 1984 Evinrude 90 hp outboard that has an issue. I just bought the boat and this seems to be the only issue. The motor will only continue to run while I am keeping up the fuel pressure by squezing the primer bulb from the tank. Two line are slightly cracked so I will replace them. Several line are held in place with the generic zip ties and not the ones that are used for marine fuel lines.
The vro system has been altered to not use the oil intake system. It seems to have been done correctly from the research that I have done.
I have swapped out the primer bulb/hose with a known good one, I checked the tank for leaks, the tank vent is good. There are no visible fuel leaks at the engine. The fuel filter is clean/new. So all of these can be checked off the list.
I am suspecting the fuel pump to be bad.

I will of course replace the fuel lines/ zip ties first but I want to go ahead and get the info for rebuilding the fuel pump.
I have done searches on this site and google but I can't find anything that makes sense to me about the rebuild.

Here are the tech/specs for the outboard:
1984 Evinrude 90hp
# E90TLCRD

Info on the fuel pump rebuild will be helpfull along with the part numbers and where I can obtain the parts will be greatly appreciated!!!

Brian.

RZR2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1984 evinrude fuel pump

I have the same motor, I replaced the the VRO pump with a regular pump. Do an advanced search at the top right of the screen for VRO replacement, there's alot of info. on these forums about this, it's not hard at all...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You might look for a fuel pump from a 1987 88 spl. May have to do a little hose plumbing.

bbodin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see many threads somewhat about this but nothing that I can see is spot-on.
Many recommend fuel pump part no. 433387 but what do I do with the pulse port? Most of the non vro pumps only I have two fittings but I think mine has three fittings and another one for the oil pump side (which is plugged off of course).
Any replies is appreciated!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If you are going to use the pulse hose line from your old fuel pump, you will have to find an older fuel pump which has the similar third hose barb for the pulse port line. Try a pump for a 1972 125 hp engine. That original part number 385784 supercedes up to 438559. About $ 100.