1984 Evinrude 30hp starts but won't stay started.

Gorilla978

Cadet
I just bought a 1975 Carolina skiff with an 1984 30hp Evinrude. Try as I might I cannot get the engine to stay running. I got a new tank/lines/fittings/fuel pump/primer solenoid/spark plugs/etc etc. It will start and run for a few seconds but will eventually just die. If I depress the choke ever few seconds it will remain started. Which led me to believe its not getting fuel to the carb. I disconnected the line to the carb and squeezed the bulb and sure enough plenty of fuel came spraying out, next I disconnected the spark plugs and cranked the engine a few times and there was not a constant supply of fuel coming from the fuel pump so I know what you are thinking it must be the fuel pump but it was just recently replaced so this just confuses me more. I am just getting into boating so 2 stroke engines confuse me.<br /><br />Thanks for any info.<br />-Mike<br /><br />P.S. Yes I already searched dozens of posts for help.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1984 Evinrude 30hp starts but won't stay started.

Hi Mike,<br /><br />Sounds like you half suspect the pump already, and from what you say you could be spot on, but try a simple test first, which will either confirm pump trouble or eliminate it.<br /><br />The motor runs, so that suggests the electrics are OK. You've got fuel to the carb with the bulb, which indicates the line's clear to that point. So check the pump as follows -<br /><br />Disconnect fuel-line from pump outlet (carb side). Make sure ignition's off (kill switch), and turn the motor over a time or two. If fuel flows freely, the pump works. If it doesn't, or is feeble and spluttery, the pump's the culprit.<br /><br />If the pump works, reconnect line and squeeze bulb. Does it go hard? If so, the carb needle-valve assembly and float level are probably OK (only probably at this stage). If it doesn't, then fuel is going through carb, and the carb needs stripping. This same effect can be felt if there is a leaky pump diaphragm, but if you've already confirmed that the pump works by following the above, that's not likely.<br /><br />Personally, I don't think you're getting fuel as far as the carb, but it's a process of elimination.<br /><br />Hope this helps.

Gorilla978

Cadet

Alright thanks, Im on the fence whether it's the carb itself or a faulty fuel pump. I might just replace the pump with a new one to be sure, and I already have the carb rebuild kit which would be beneficial at this point regardless of whether its the problem or not.<br /><br />Thanks for the hlep stillfishing<br /><br />-Mike

DHPMARINE

Captain

msharry,<br /><br />If you are keeping the motor running by using the choke,the pump works,you are gettin fuel to the carb,which needs cleanin.Your not getting fuel thru the carb.<br /><br />DHP

Xcusme

Commander

My bet is the carb. If the carb bowl is full, it should run for more than a few seconds, regardless if the fuel pump is intermittant. Since it will continue to run as you work the choke, I'd suspect a carb low speed idle circuit blockage. Rebuild-clean the carb. If you still have problems, then look for a fuel delivery problem from the fuel pump.<br /><br />DHP: I haffta' learn to type faster!

Gorilla978

Cadet

Thanks guys.<br /><br />Wasn't lookin forward to removing/cleaning/rebuilding the carb though...looks hard.<br /><br />Thanks<br />-Mike

fireman57

Captain

It is not a tough job. Just take your time and make sure that all the jets are clear. Blow them out with your air compressor. If you have crud in the carb bowl when you take it apart you might consider installing an inline fuel filter. Good luck. Any questions just put them up here and these pros will help you through it.

jimalsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your jets are plugged. R&R the carbs. It's easy.

MarkCz

Cadet

I have an 1986 20 hp and no choke on my engine. The knob that looks like a choke on my engine is the fuel primer. Are you sure you have a choke and not a primer?

Gorilla978

Cadet

Originally posted by MarkCz:<br /> I have an 1986 20 hp and no choke on my engine. The knob that looks like a choke on my engine is the fuel primer. Are you sure you have a choke and not a primer?
The only knob on my engine is on the carb and I'm almost certain it's to adjust the carb settings. The choke I speak of is on the ignition key IE push in when you turn the key to choke it while it starts. (or so Im told). According to my friend from whom I bought the boat, pushin in the choke squirts some fuel into the carb.<br /><br />-Mike

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Rebuilding the carbs on an outboard is much simpler than doing an auto carb. A OMC shop manual is helpful and it will also tell you how to make the necessary adjustments. I did my 9.9 this weekend. I spent not more than two hours total - I did let it soak overnight in carb cleaner.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

msharry,<br /><br />You're talking about pressing a button that forces a solenoid to squirt extra fuel - that's what came accross from your first post.<br /><br />Hitting that frequently will keep a motor running even if the carbs are not letting the normal amount of fuel through - and it will also do so even if the fuel pump is dodgy. It's a bit like squeezing the bulb.<br /><br />As has been said above - rebuild the carbs. You'll know for certain then if it's the carbs or the pump.<br /><br />The good news is that a good carb rebuild is never wasted.

coonboydan

Recruit

I just bought a 1975 Carolina skiff with an 1984 30hp Evinrude. Try as I might I cannot get the engine to stay running. I got a new tank/lines/fittings/fuel pump/primer solenoid/spark plugs/etc etc. It will start and run for a few seconds but will eventually just die. If I depress the choke ever few seconds it will remain started. Which led me to believe its not getting fuel to the carb. I disconnected the line to the carb and squeezed the bulb and sure enough plenty of fuel came spraying out, next I disconnected the spark plugs and cranked the engine a few times and there was not a constant supply of fuel coming from the fuel pump so I know what you are thinking it must be the fuel pump but it was just recently replaced so this just confuses me more. I am just getting into boating so 2 stroke engines confuse me.<br /><br />Thanks for any info.<br />-Mike<br /><br />P.S. Yes I already searched dozens of posts for help.
This one is easy,replace the fuel line from gas hookup to the fuel pump,its soft on inside,replace with a plastic line,line is collapsing when pump is pulling more gas. alcohol in gas is causing this rubber to soften. COONBOYDAN

coonboydan

Recruit

I don't know if you got my first message, the problem you have is in the fuel line from gas hookup to fuel pump,about 8",this hose is soft inside from alcohol content in gas,the fuel pump sucks it flat at high demands,replace it with a plastic fuel hose,from a automotive store 5/16 size. I had the same problem,did every thing you have done. Split the old hose,you will see what I mean. COONBOYDAN

split the hose when you take it off,