1984 evinrude 140, stalls and loads up at idle

chris thomas

Cadet
We had this motor for 11 years with this ongoing problem. It will constantly load up and stall at idle and when in gear. Often, it will spit back thru the carbs when it stalls. It restarts pretty easy. The idle speed seems really low and the manual says there is no low speed adjustment. Aside from the carbs having been overhauled twice, no other upper end repairs have been made. The engine has about 750-1000 hours of abuse, lots of salt, and neglect.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 evinrude 140, stalls and loads up at idle

What's the compression? What spark plugs? What fuel? How old is the fuel? There is a proceedure for setting the idle speed. Look in the manual under "Engine Synchronization". Keep in mind the carbs are jetted for 1984 fuel. "Spitting" back indicates a lean idle condition. Once you get the motor idleing at the proper RPM, if it still spits, you may need to rejet (richen) the idle circuit for todays fuel. <br /><br />Good luck!

chris thomas

Cadet
Re: 1984 evinrude 140, stalls and loads up at idle

I checked compresson and it ranges from 118 to 125. Also, I noticed a lot of oil. not oil and gas mix, leaking out of the carb cover. I found two bad plug wires. The VRO is origional and a good boat mechanic thought it should be removed or updated. I think mine is a 3 wire and the improved ones are 4 wire.<br /><br />I think I will disconnect the VRO, spray carb cleaner in an attempt to clean out the reed boxes. By the way, I have 4 plastic carburetors. Where is the mixture adjustments? I will check timing. What is that decarbon stuff? Is it any good? Any other advice before I take it out and have the motor fall off "accidently".