1984 60HP Johnson won't throttle up

aesgator

Seaman
The motor will start up easy, and throttle up fine when hooked to the hose at the house. Put it in the water, different story. It will start fine, but will sometimes die when idling. Go to throttle up and it won't get past 3,000 rpms and fast idle. Any suggestions or advice?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 1984 60HP Johnson won't throttle up

Running on the garden hose does not place hardly any load on the engine, the fuel requirement/flow is very little. Once on the water the load increases dramatically, any restriction, dirty carb/jets, and the engine fails. Continued operation lean on fuel will destroy pistons, get a manual, clean and readjust the carb(s).

Make sure you got good spark to all plugs and don't take it above 1500 rpm on muffs...I destroyed my engine doing that. What would have cost me about $85 to fix with a new power pack now will cost whatever to rebuild the power head.

aesgator

Seaman

Went to pulling spark plug wires today. Pull one the engine keeps idling like nothing happens; pull the other one it dies. Swapped plugs did the same thing and the problem followed the plug. Going to buy some new plugs and wires too just because and swap them out and see if i have any luck.

You might want to investigate what is fouling that plug...is you gas path clean and healthy?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

running on one cylinder, plugs do go bad. insulation cracks. etc. report what you find.

aesgator

Seaman

after changing plugs and wires with some change but still no top end went ahead and tore apart the carbs and cleaned them. runs like a scaled cat.