1984 140 horse Johnson

BOATING1

Cadet
Hi just wondering why alot of people diconnect there VRO and mix oil with gas thru there fuel tank, major problems with the VRO injection system?? Also I have a problem with idling and starting, after I run the boat and let it sit for an half hour its very hard to start and idle, but when I open it up runs great...

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 140 horse Johnson

The VRO topic has been debated to death around here...some people love it, some hate it. I am personally in the "love" camp. Do a search on VRO and you can probably read for a month on the topic. Although I haven't looked, I would imagine it is also discussed in the FAQ section.<br /><br />Re your start/idle when warm problem....can't really help you there, however, those that can are going to need some more info such as motor model #, hp, year. Any recent service done to motor? How long has problem existed?<br /><br />Post back some more info and I'm sure someone can help.<br /><br />Good luck!

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

Whoops...just saw the year and hp in your title line...sorry about that.<br /><br />At least this will take your post back to the top!<br /><br />Cheers.

BOATING1

Cadet

The motor is the looper series 1984 140 horse, the VRO bulb is good to go. I just purchased the boat in March the guy I bought this from did have it set up for winter storage by a dealer in Minnesota.<br /><br />I am thinking old gas, what do they do with the gas when you set if up for winter storage, drain , fill not sure. Plugs I am using are the ql77j4c set to .030 gap, also what RPM should this type of motor idle at???

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The early VRO was unreliable, Shayne. When it quit it destroyed engines.<br /><br />The later versions are okay, but the paranoia persists.<br /><br />Mixed fuel can't suddenly lose oil and blow your engine up.<br /><br />When going into storage, add Stabil to the fuel.<br /><br />Get yourself a service manual.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

Generally you top up the fuel tank(s) to prevent any condensation developing and as JB noted, add some sort of fuel stabilizer to it. Make sure you run the engine for a bit after adding the stabilizer as it is most important that the fuel left in the carbs over the winter be treated.<br /><br />Take a look at the VRO fuel pump on your motor...if it only has three wires coming out of it, it needs to be upgraded to the newer four wire version. Also I believe the fuel fitting (elbow) coming out of the top of the pump is brown on the old ones and grey on the newer ones.<br /><br />Not sure on the idle RPM....I believe your top end RPM should be around 6000 for that motor. Service manual will confirm for you.<br /><br />Good luck!

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

Almost forgot....if you are unsure if the gas left in the boat over the winter was treated, your carbs could be a little gummed up by now. Might be time to remove and clean them up. While you have them apart, you might was well install carb kits (new gaskets, carb float, needle valve, etc.). You can purchase the kits at any dealer.<br /><br />Cheers.

walleyehed

Admiral

The motor is the looper series 1984 140 horse,
No looper in 1984...85-86 was the big-block V4 Loopers..<br />Post the engine #'s if you would, BOATING1.

BOATING1

Cadet

IS IT POSSIBLE TO SPRAY CARB CLEANER IN WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNNING AT A MODERATE RPM, IS THAT A GOOD ALTERNITIVE THEN TAKING THE CARBS OFF, KND OF BOAT MOTOR STUPID...STILL TRYING TO FINE A MANUAL......

MarkHPCA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Spraying the carbs when running will only clean the venturie (spelling?) and reeds not the various passages in the carb. To do it right you have to take them off. Its easy. there is no adjustment on these, except for float height, so you just bolt them back on when completed. But do get a manual before doing it, especially if your not boat motor smart (even a little)