1983 Mervury HP shoots steams at the pee hole

Rangerbilt

Cadet
I have replaced the impeller last spring to fix this problem. I didn't use the boat during the winter months for about four months. Last weekend I took the boat out and again there's steam coming out at the pee hole. Is it mandatory to replaced the impeller every year. The steam comes out during idle or at slow no wake speed. At full throttle or anywhere from 3500RPM or above the water comes out fine at the pee hole. Is there anything that I can do to prolong the effectiveness of my impeller? What about thermostat is there one that I can replace. Thanks in advance for all your help.

KCLOST

Commander
Re: 1983 Mervury HP shoots steams at the pee hole

HP ?<br /><br />THis sounds like a stuck poppet proplem...

Rangerbilt

Cadet

Originally posted by KCLOST:<br /> HP ?<br /><br />THis sounds like a stuck poppet proplem...
It's a 150 HP. What's a poppet?? Where is it located at in the motor? Is it something that's easy to change? Thanks for your reply.

KCLOST

Commander

Poppet or Pressure relief valve... It is designed to open at RPM levels above 3000 or so, so excess water pressure can be released from the block and improve water flow... If it is stuck open at idle and lower rpms the water will be dumped from the block prematurely, thus no or not enough water will fully circulate the water jackets... The engine will overheat at those rpm levels as a result.<br /> <br />This sounds very much like your problem...<br />The poppet valve is located underneath the switchboxes on the starboard side of the block, down low. The outer plate is either oval shaped or 8 shaped held on with a couple of bolts.. I bet it needs some cleaning...<br /><br />And it is very easy to change, clean, reinstall. Just be careful to ensure all parts are in good shape and put back the same way (or proper) they were removed after cleaning. The parts consist of a plastic washer, diapram, screw, poppet, spring, and a grommet or two that are fixed to the block where the poppet slides in it.....

KCLOST

Commander

Here's a link that shows the poppet configurations you may have...<br /><br /> V6poppet

Rangerbilt

Cadet

KCLOST, thank you very much for your help. I wouldn't know what a poppet valve is until now. I will check it today when I get home from work and maybe I'll stop by at the local marine place to see if they have the right poppet valve in stock for my motor.<br /><br />I noticed that you have a Ranger 371V.. My boat is a 1992 372V with the 83 Merc that I'm having a problem right now. Hopefully with your advise I would be able to remedy the problem. <br /><br />Again thank you very much for a very much needed help. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

KCLOST

Commander

No problem....<br /><br />If you go to the parts dealer, all you will probably need is the diaphram and a few gaskets for the outer and inner relief valve plates... THe poppet iself is hard plastic and doesn't wear out. But the diaphram is rubber and is worth replacing as long as you are taking everything out to clean... However even if the diaphram is bad, that isn't normally the cause of your symptoms, it works like a seal more than anything... Your problem is most likely that the poppet isn't sliding back into the grommet/hole in the block. Either by debri, misalignment, or somethings broke like the spring.<br /><br />Check for debri obviously and clean everything, check the spring on the poppet make sure it isn't worn to death, and after you have pulled out the assembly look at the grommet and carrier that are fixed to the hole in the block. It should be clean and not worn. You might want to go ahead and pick up a grommet from your dealer also and replace as it's cheap. If the diapram is toast replace it and then reassemble everything with new gaskets...

KCLOST

Commander

Find out anything?<br /><br />And you might as well change "both" thermostats...They are located at the top of the cylinder heads, water hoses connected to the fitting that holds them in place.

Rangerbilt

Cadet

Originally posted by KCLOST:<br /> Find out anything?<br /><br />And you might as well change "both" thermostats...They are located at the top of the cylinder heads, water hoses connected to the fitting that holds them in place.
I replaced both thermostats today. I use the water hose kit to test and there seems to be no more steam coming out of the pee hole. I touched the water and the temperature is changing from hot to cold, hot to cold. So I think replacing the thermnostat seems to be working. I will replace the impeller also before I take it out to the lake this weekend. <br /><br />I don't know where the poppet is and when I asked the dealer how much it would cost to replace it, the person I talked to, told me to bring the boat over and then he will let me know how much it would cost me. I got scared and didn't take the boat over. :confused:

KCLOST

Commander

Good!!! The stats were most likely the problem then.... It's strange that both would be bad, but it makes sense...<br /><br />The poppet is still very much worth checking, And if you check the link to the website I gave you in my earlier post you will find it!...<br />Take it out and clean it at least...<br />But it sounds like you might have it licked...<br />If you have your serial # for the motor I can look up the parts for the Poppet, if you ever need them....<br />If he didn't know what a poppet or pressure relief valve is for your motor, I wouldn't put too much trust in him...

Rangerbilt

Cadet

Originally posted by KCLOST:<br /> Good!!! The stats were most likely the problem then.... It's strange that both would be bad, but it makes sense...<br /><br />The poppet is still very much worth checking, And if you check the link to the website I gave you in my earlier post you will find it!...<br />Take it out and clean it at least...<br />But it sounds like you might have it licked...<br />If you have your serial # for the motor I can look up the parts for the Poppet, if you ever need them....<br />If he didn't know what a poppet or pressure relief valve is for your motor, I wouldn't put too much trust in him...
I agree with you, I think we might have gotten the steaming problem licked. But the real test would be at the lake this weekend. I'm still going to replace the impeller before I take her out again.<br /><br />BTW here's my serial number 06620766. <br /><br />Thank you for all your help.

Rangerbilt

Cadet

KCLOST, took the boat to the lake and it ran great. Water comes out of the tell tale continuously. I guess it's a successful repair. Thanks! I just thought I'd let you know.

KCLOST

Commander

Good to hear... I'm still a little concerned why you wouldn't see some water coming out even if the stats were bad... ????? Mine spurts a little water even when the stats are closed.... There is a bypass!

KCLOST

Commander

If you have some time in the near future I'd recommend installing a water pressure guage... It's easy, expecially if you have a location on the console to mount the guage (possibly get rid of old guage you don't need anymore and replace with the this one)... It's up to you, but it will tell you if your cooling system is working properly at all rpm levels... You can really see what is happening at various temps and speeds.. For instance when the stats open, when the poppet opens and closes, WOT pressures etc. I can help you through it if you ever want to install..