1983 Mercury 9.8 2 stroke not punping water

metor99

Seaman
HI
I just bought a 83 mercury 9.8 hp. I put it in a trash can, 3 pulls starts right up was told it had not run for 2 plus years. It runs great but wait no water out the pisser hole. I dropped the lower unit water pump doesent look bad but replaced anyway, put back together still no water out pisser. No thermistat in motor is (Missing). removed the flush screw blew hi pressure air through it. Removed plug at the top of the head and did the same and also flushed with water. Still no water is pumping. Im at my last option of removing the head. Please help with ideas

TY
Charles

metor99

Seaman
Re: 1983 Mercury 9.8 2 stroke not punping water

I did some more research and it seams that the head is really not a head but a water flow cover if i may. I also believe that there is a water passage on the exaust side, underneath the exaust side plate. It looks to me my only hope is to remove both and clean. Any help most needed. I hate removing these bolts due to breakage.

metor99

Seaman

What is the correct way the copper tube from the powerhead to the water pump goes. On one end there is a short bend and on the other a long bend. IPB shows large bend to powerhead, Is this correct. The guide tube on the waterpump seams to accomidate the long curb end not the short end. I have the long end to powerhead and is not pumping.

Dr.Captain

Recruit

What is the correct way the copper tube from the powerhead to the water pump goes. On one end there is a short bend and on the other a long bend. IPB shows large bend to powerhead, Is this correct. The guide tube on the waterpump seams to accomidate the long curb end not the short end. I have the long end to powerhead and is not pumping.

I have the same problem a mechanic said it is probably not worth fixing and the power head is no doubt corroded and seized after 2 years.

The motor was well looked after so I am not sure I am about to do the same as you. I am wondering how it has went for you. Do I need to hire a mechanic or just junk the motor.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

hi, i need the serial number, so i can try to research and help you.
also, was this used in fresh water, salt water, or brackish water, please??

cheers

dave