1983 merc 80hp help

suprtrkr1974

Cadet
Got an 83 mercy 80 bp that idled great but when I put in gear starts boggin down and dies. Ran great yesterday but now will only idle. Any ideas what it may be?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 merc 80hp help

Considering age and all, sounds like your fuel supply system was functional yesterday, but today it either got contaminated with stuff along the way or the fuel pump diaphragm may have crapped out.

First of all, divide and conquer. Disconnect the fuel supply from the engine and if you have a quick disconnect there, taking a wooden popsickle stick depress the button while pointing into a clean container and squeezing the bulb half a dozen times. It should give you a good squirt every time you squeeze. What do you see in the container? Did the bulb recover immediately from a pump ready for another?

If those pass the test, reconnect the line and open it again just before it splits and goes into the carbs. Crank the engine with the open end of the hose pointed into a clean container. Crank the engine and check for gas delivery then look at the contents of the container....clean?

If all that passes, then looks like you had some crud in your carb and it has dislodged and clogged your jets....off with the carbs and on with the washout and new kits.

HTH,
Mark

suprtrkr1974

Cadet

I'll try that and see if it helps. I was thinkin it might be that cause I did hut the carbs with some carb cleaner. I just didn't want it to b that ad I hate messing with carbs. I would rather take a but whopping than deal with finicky carbs

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I'll try that and see if it helps. I was thinkin it might be that cause I did hut the carbs with some carb cleaner. I just didn't want it to b that ad I hate messing with carbs. I would rather take a but whopping than deal with finicky carbs

Yesssssss. That's why I run after market cleaners in my fuel that a lot of folks swear against.....their choice/loss. Currently running a '02 finicky Merc 90 triple, 3 carbs, cold nature by EPA design, haven't had the carbs off or cleaned since new.......Sea Foam to the rescue. Runs my little 17' boat at close to 50 mph, stellar fuel economy, 5600-5800 rpm....all you godda do is get it going in the morning....thanks EPA.

Mark