1983 Johnson 60 hp wont turn over. J60 ELCTB

omcshawn

Cadet
Quick history of this motor- It sat for over 10 years. To get it running I had to replace the wiring harness. After replacing the harness the motor started up on the very first try. Much to my surprise. However it would not shut off with the key. Had to disconnect the gas line and let it run out. I replaced the ignition switch and it was fine. Started and shut off no problem for the last three years. Ran Great. Now, last Sunday I was out for like 3 or 4 hours, ran the boat a bit hard and got caught in the rain. I did hear a loud bang when tubing. Brought the motor down to an idle. It sounded fine and ran fine. When I got to the dock the motor would not shut off. Not with the key or the emergency kill switch lanyard. So, I assumed that maybe water from the rain got into the ignition switch. I replaced that and same problem, would start but not shut down. I started to look at all of the wiring. Connections, fittings, etc. Could not find any lose or corroded wires. I took apart the wiring harness connector, and the power pack connector to look for issues. Could not find any problems. Put the connector back together and now the boat wont even turn over. I get nothing when I turn he key. SO, maybe I messed up connector on the wiring harness, I put on a new wiring harness. That did nothing. I now have a new ignition switch, new harness and the motor does nothing. Wont even crank over. Any ideas on what is going on?? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you! https://www.marineengine.com/parts/...&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Ignition+System

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Use a jumper cable and jump the engine at the starter solenoid. If it cranks, you have a wiring issue.

omcshawn

Cadet
I did get the motor running. It was as simple as a bad connection in the fuse link. However, I still have the same original problem. It wont shut off with the key or the emergency kill switch.