1983 Glastron HPV-175

rotozuk

Seaman Apprentice
Been in love with the Glastrons for a long time. Must admit the I was attracted to the CVX and other Carlson based designs, but the more I looked, the more the fishing boats started to attract my attention. They seemed to be a good mix of utility with pure fun mixed in. For my intended uses, this was attractive.

After months of searching a several close calls I found a good solid HPV-175 and decided I really need to check it out. Like everyone selling an old boat, the answers were all the same, sure, it ran when last used, the decks are solid and you know the rest. But nonetheless I had a good feeling from the seller, so lets drive way to far away and check it out.

While cosmetically she is not great, she seems to be a great survivor with solid wood, strong transom and some minor interior refitting already done. New vinyl and some carpets. Otherwise pretty much stock and well used. 1800 hours on the hour meter.

Shuck the man's hand and she was mine. Found the life wells are disconnected and the thru hulls were not plugged, so we did a quick cap on those and tested things and tossed her in the local lake this weekend.
dasboat - 1.jpeg

I can not tell you how pleased I am with this boat. I had read that this was a good smooth running hull, and that is very true. We had 20 mph winds on the lake and she cut through the chop like nothing. Doing close to 50 mph into the wind. The classic 2 stroke Johnson 175 is running GREAT. I'm blown away, after messing with 4 stroke power in my last open bow boat, the 2 stroke comes onto power so FAST. Going to be fun to play with when my dog is not on onboard.

Speaking of the dog, I really thought the HPV would be well suited for my dog as all of my dogs have loved hanging out on the bow. Sure enough he was right at home spotting squirrels and other blood thirsty critters. LOL
dasboat2 - 1.jpeg

While it may not be the best looking Glastron, she is perfect for the uses I have planned. Wanted a boat that is easy to get in and out of while exploring local waterways. Wanted an outboard this time, and so far loving that. Will see some salt waters, but mostly fresh. With the Sacramento Delta not too far away I hope to do a trip from the San Francisco bay up into the Delta and back. Mess around in the Petaluma River, etc. Also planning to fly some remote controlled float planes from her. She will be my little pickup truck on water.

Many thanks to the owners of the past that have clearly done a great job of maintaining her and keeping her dry! Here is a photo of her right before my first splash. 2 owners ago did an excellent job rebuilding the trailer taking her down to bare metal and fixing everything and repainting and even put stickers back on. Pretty rare for an old fishing boat IMHO.
pre launch - 1.jpeg

Will be doing some more maintenance on her soon, and probably a bit of polishing to bring back some of her beauty. Really happy I rescued her from the current owner as the boat was headed for decline do to poor storage in the last year.

rotozuk

Seaman Apprentice
And now for a question for you all.

In the above photos you can see the 2 white plastic thru hulls, one up front and one in the rear. They are technically above the waterline, but they clearly were under water with just 2 people onboard if we both went to the same side. These are live well drains. The live wells are non-functional. I really do not need the live wells. Some previous owner sprayed expanding foam in the rear thru hull to try and plug it, and the front one had a ziplock bag clamped onto the inside.. This may have worked at one time, but the spray foam was turning into powder, and the ziplock bag had a huge hole.

I currently have my own horrible band aid of rubber cap hose clamped onto the ends.

Does anyone make a solid thru hull, or some sort of plug or cap or bung?? I do not want to fiberglass. I can just connect hoses back to the tanks, but rather not as I'd like to use them for dry storage. I guess I could plug the tank ends..

Any ideas? I have not found a solid thru hole available.

Thanks!