1983 Evinrude E40RWLCTR 40 hp pull starting

24simpson

Cadet
Hey all,

So I have a 1983 Evinrude E40RWLCTR 40 HP which is currently on a stand in my garage which may be the issue. How the h do you pull this thing over? I've had 5 people try, since I have very bad shoulders, and it is impossible. Maybe the stand is the issue losing leverage? Being a 2 stroke 40 hp twin, I would have expected a decompression valve or valves but nope. Is it easier while mounted in the boat? Cylinders, rings, peering through the side cover, all look amazing. It has 120 Lbs compression on both cylinders. Great cross hatch. Appears to have very low hours on it. Any advise? I don't want to move on restoring the actual boat if I cannot even fire this thing off.

Thanks,
Chris

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It does make a big difference having it mounted on a boat where you can stand in front of it and use both hands to haul on the rope. Height makes a big difference too. I assume the stand is a lot higher than the boat transom.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That is the manual start " commercial " model.-----Marketed to the brawny fishing types.-----Look for electric start kit I say.