1983 Chrysler 140 Distributor Cap

JGKoenig

Seaman
My motor was running a little rough and missing some RPMs, so after a little troubleshooting I replaced the ignition coil. When I took the ignition wire off of the cap I noticed it was very green. The new wire does not seem to stay on very well. The motor runs awesome for a little while then I can here some sparking in the cap. It then starts to miss a little. If I reseat the coil wire, it is fine. I think I need to replace the cap. I notice that it is 2 pieces. What is the bottom half called (don't want to buy the wrong thing)? Is there a one piece cap? Also, are the plug wires the same as a Chrysler car motor?<br /><br />Thanks!!

JGKoenig

Seaman
Re: 1983 Chrysler 140 Distributor Cap

I just took a look at dougrussell.com (good site) and it looks like they have all the parts for the cap. It is hard to tell which part has the pins for connecting the plug wires. Is it the cap cover or the cap body? I do not need to replace everything.

Rex1usmc

Cadet

I use www.dollaroffshore.com for my Chrysler parts. They show you a exploded image of the engine components. I believe you need the cap base p/n 1408h3e. They have it for $65.03, hope this is what you are looking for.

JGKoenig

Seaman

Is that the correct link? I am having some problmes getting to it.

JGKoenig

Seaman

I checked it out and found that the body is in good shape. The plug wires were all green and brown. I am going to replace the seal and the plug/coil wires. Anything else I should be replacing?

Rex1usmc

Cadet

If you are changing the wires I would change the plugs also.

JGKoenig

Seaman

I changed the plugs before I put it in the water this year. <br /><br />I changed the wires and it seems to run great. Still only gets 4500 RPMs (more then before). I am going to try adjusting the timing a little. It may be a little retarded.