1983 bayliner capri smart tabs

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1983 bayliner capri smart tabs

I bought a pair years ago when the guy that sold them was on here. My boat was slightly underpowered and I thought they might help me get on plane. If they did help it was only slightly. I was not impressed by the price and within a year one of the pistons went bad and they would not replace it. New one was like 40 bucks plus shipping if I remember. Not the best investment I ever made.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Which Capri do you have. One of my boats is an 84 Capri, the 16 foot version with the 85hp engine. It is the most well behaved bowrider I've ever been in. It doesn't even wander.

John_S

Rear Admiral

What are your thoughts on smart tabs?

What issues are you trying to correct in what size boat and motor in a Capri?

I have a '97 2050 w/5.7L Capri and been running smart tabs for 3-4 years. Very happy. Significanty reduced low speed bow wander, eliminated porposing and chine walking at high speed, reduced time to plane, and reduced bow rise while getting on plane. Just about everything they promised. :) I did have a cyl go bad, and they sent me a pair to replace, free of charge.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you look at the majority of comments on Smart Tabs you'll find the majority are positive, some even extremely so. I personally can't imagine not having them on my boat; they made a huge difference in the handling of my boat. Bow rise, low speed handling, speed to stay on plane, time to plane, etc. The list is long. They did everything they claimed they would do and the small drawbacks are indeed small. I can back up just fine, they don't interfere with anything on my transom and after 4 years they are as solidly attached as they were the day I installed them. I don't know of anything equally priced out there that can affect a boat's performance for the cost.

foodfisher

Captain

The handling of my '86 19' Capri leaves no need for tabs. Took off the whale tail after getting the 125 force in running order. Oh, it's a bowrider.

Last edited:

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow, three years after purchase I claimed a waranty defect and was sent a replacememt no questions asked........................

They are the shift

nlain

Commander

I have them on my boat, I will say they do everything advertised, I had an actuator go bad almost 2 years after I installed them, called John, the guy who sells them and is still on here, he sent me a replacement, no questions asked. I had also purchased the tabs with 80lb actuators, they were too strong, needed 60 lb, called John, he shipped me a set of 60's and asked me to send the 80's back, no questions. Great product, great support, great people to deal with.

calvinman

Seaman

I love my Tabs, They do all that is advertised! Best money I've spent on the boat!