1983 25hp Johnson knocking?

jpinheiro33

Cadet
i just picked up a 1983 25hp Johnson and the thing runs like a top but if you listen you can hear a decent knock. is this normal for these motors or does it maybe have something wrong with it?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 1983 25hp Johnson knocking?

Knocks are never good. What's a "decent" knock? When does it happen? Does it seem to be at engine rpm speed, or slower.

Hard to diagnose without more information. One thing's certain, though: You need an alternate form of propulsion if you keep running it that way. Something's bound to give.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Definitely not normal. Usually the knocks quit when the pistons mash the spark plug electrodes closed, though. :(

GeneH

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, Have you checked the timing? Any chance your maximum timing advance is too great?

jpinheiro33

Cadet

not advanced timing, the cylinders arent loose bc i tried moving them with a screw driver and the flywheel and they seemed tight. the knocking occurs mostly around a high idle, then when you rev it up a bit it seems to go away. maybe bad piston rings? it does have decent compression when i put my finger over the spark plug hole but i feel and hear a bit of a leak down on each of the cylinders... i could of sworn i heard a 6hp evinrude cruise by me the other day with a knocking to it... something probly justwrong with that too i guess? maybe new rings would fix it?

jbjennings

Captain

Try turning the flywheel with the s-plugs out and get a piston close to TDC. THen reach in with a screwdriver and hold the flywheel to see if you can push back the piston without the flywheel turning. It's a good way to see if you have a lot of slack in your connecting rods and wrist pins.
Maybe that's your knock. Bad piston rings don't knock as far as I know.
Checking compression with your finger over the hole isn't real accurate;):D.
Why not borrow a compression tester or buy a 20 dollar one from an auto parts store and test it yourself. But if it ran good and idled good I wouldn't worry about compression. Take the cowl off and look for something obvious.
No other ideas, I hope you figure it out,
JBJ