1983 140 Rude Idle Problem

Andrec4016

Seaman
OK...I just spent 3 hrs on trying to set the idle on this, have the manual but my engine does not have anything like what the manual is showing or describng using Seloc manual,at idle she is cutting out and sounds like its missing, once in gear and give some gas its fine at WOT its great boat planes out engine smooth and steady but at idle its worthless can't keep it running... I have one set screw I think its the time advance at idle, when turning this in idle it does not change the idle if anything it makes it worst.. does anybody have any ideas.. E140TRLCTE :mad: :mad:

Andrec4016

Seaman
Re: 1983 140 Rude Idle Problem

Note: I pulled the carbs and resealed all gaskets as well as all fuel line, had some fuel leaking issues thru out system.. engine still cuts out on idle or put in gear...

Andrec4016

Seaman

I guess nobody knows anything around here without rebuilding or doing a compression test first,this subject seems to crop up alot in this forum more than I though, but know one can answer a simple question.

fireman57

Captain

Let me take a stab at this one. Let's see most people were either out on their boat, visiting the cemetary, or working on this three day weekend and probably didn't have time to jump on their computer. I just got home from work and got something to eat. I guess now I have time to answer your question. Look at the top of the page and find the red search link. Do a search for Joe Reeves excellent post on setting the carbs. If you had checked out some other posts or tried this first we may not be having this strained conversation.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Sorry,I didn't notice you only asked a simple question.<br /><br />The problem is there is not a simple answer.<br /><br />Spark,compression,fuel sample are all part of the diagnosis,so we ask that.<br /><br />Look at your first post .... what set screw are you talking about ?<br /><br />I don't have a clue.<br /><br />That's why we can't give you a simple answer.<br /><br />So please post more,we want you to.But sometimes we need more info.<br /><br />DHP

Andrec4016

Seaman

Fireman57.. and all sorry for my frustration but I have looked at the posts, thats why I'm here I have no adjustments on the carbs, fixed jets.. I have one set screw on a 3" arm I'm assuming thats the low speed timing, I don't see any other set screws on the linkages other that the buttefly to the cam adjustment, that is set to close on neutral. if I could find the idle adjustment and set the timing correctly I would be happy, the boat is in a slip in the water..

Andrec4016

Seaman

DHP.. compression 125 on all cylinders fuel is clean with 50:1 fuel is gettting to carbs with no problems my last post I fixed fuel leaking problem so its getting fuel.. sparks jumps 1/2" or more blue in color starts in start throttle position but you put in gear it stalls and sounds like its missing, all new plugs UL77Y no gap adjustment..??

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Your symptoms are consistant with crud in the carbs.

fireman57

Captain

I'm not a big fan of Seloc manuals for just the reason you give. A good OEM manual is worth it's weight in gold. If you have fixed jets go to the link n sync part of the manual and check all of that. SoLittle is right. It's easy to miss a speck and that is all it takes. Gap your plugs between .30 and .40. If you do a lot of trolling and idling go .40. Do you still have spark when it is stalling and missing? Might be a pack/coil that breaks down under a load.

Andrec4016

Seaman

your not getting my question where is the idle screw.. carbs are clean

Andrec4016

Seaman

I would do a sync but I don't have the idle screw to set the idle.. no gap adjustment on spark plugs

fireman57

Captain

I don't have a manual for your engine. I'm just trying to give you a route to start at. If you have fixed jets then you will have no idle screw thus it is done during the linknsync. If the jets are fixed they just have to be perfectly clean. Can you post a picture of the set screw that you are talking about?

fireman57

Captain

Great! Now we know. If you don't have an OMC manual check your library. I'll bet they have one for now and you can copy down the link n sync procedure for that engine. I didn't say you could make copies because that is illegal. If you are going to keep this engine (and it is a good one) order this manual for yourself. Google it.

harrietnorth

Cadet

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2226743#post2226743

Andrec4016 - I think we are hunt for a solution to a similar problem.

Wont idle, runs like a champion at WOT, choke to keep alive.

Diagnostics:

Step 1: clean fuel
Step 2: no fuel leaks (check carbs)
Step 3: compression even on all cylinders (within 5-10 psi)
step 4: electrical - good spark with spark tester (7/16ths gap - strong blue spark)

Carbs must be clean, floats flat and level. There are no adjustable parts on the your carburators, just fixed orifices. Watch this video as a baseline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5cxBMDezuU

If you have passed all these steps, then you are most likely where I am in the adventure.

step 5: seals in crankcase leaking because of age and wonderful powers of ethanol (ethanol is corrosive to elderly rubber seals) Pull the power head, replace the seals on the lower crankcase head assy ($10 in parts and 5 hours of labor)
Step 6: cross fingers?