1983 115hp evinrude no WOT, hard start, when cold

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought the boat and motor in march and have used it roughly twice a months since. Started and ran fine for the first few months, but now it is doing the following. It will start right up at the lake, but will not do WOT until it is warmed up quite a bit. Then, if I let it sit for a while it is hard to start. Once started it runs fine again, but if I let it sit for a few hours it is hard to start again. Think a decarb will help?

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: 1983 115hp evinrude no WOT, hard start, when cold

A decarb will not hurt..but I would probebly take the carbs off and rebuild them.<br /><br />Also..check to see if the choke is working.<br /><br />TMD

sailingMel

Cadet

I have the 83 115 Evinrude and it's been stored for a while. I got it running quite well with water ears on it in my driveway. It sounds and runs strong, but when I put it in the water it seems to struggle to run and will NOT idle. I have new coil packs, new fuel tank, lines and fuel/water separator on it. Could the pack pressure inthe exhaust when it's in the water have any bearing on why it won't idle? If so, what do you do about that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Check for solid spark on all 4 plugwires. An inductive timing light is handy for this test. Also, check for compression differences between cylinders.