1982 pre-Alpha water pump

BuzzM

Seaman
I am planning on replacing my pre-alpha's water impeller. I think the merc part numbers are #46-96148A8 for the Alpha pump kit that supposedly will work on this unit. I read that I should replace the base as well, but that is a pre-alpha specific merc part # 46-5723A1. Does this sound right?
And what kind of gasket sealer should I use on the gaskets when I attached the leg back on the rest of the outdrive? I can't find any specific mention about gasket sealer in the seloc manual.
Thanks for the assist.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: 1982 pre-Alpha water pump

buzz, sorry, i didn't look up the part #'s, but an alph1 waterpump kit is what ya need. it'll work in the 1 drive too. don't know about the base plate. i've not replaced mine. though i did do a waterpump houseing along with my impeller.

ya don't use any sealer on the gaskets or when puttin the lower back onto the upper. there is a small quad ring that absolutely must go back in. make sure it's there. it's on the starboard side about in the middle. inbetween the two halfs. make sure ya use proper torque values on the pump houseing bolts too. they aren't put on very tight. specially the back one.......

here's a link to a real service manual. it'll be a real large file. like over 1gig. bust ditch the seloc.......don't know which one is for you, but it's there.....

http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/sisdata/srvcovr.pdf