1982 mercury 115hp outboard

texcwby

Recruit
Recently purchased this boat, During the purchasing of the boat I had the compression of the motor checked out. Everything passed with flying colors. Since then I have I had the boat on the water a few times with no problems what so ever. Then...... I was running across the top of the water and it lost all power and stalled out. I was able to get it to refire and it gave me about 1/4 thottle anything more then that it would lose power. After about 5-10 mins tring to get back to the dock I decieded that I would try to give it more throttle again, It came right up out of the water and took off. Anyone have had this problem before?

Recap of the day:Things that I did this day not that I have not done with this boat before.

Found White Schooling so I ran the trolling motor really hard along with the livewell pumps. When it died I double checked all the battery connections and made sure they were tight.

Being a car guy I want to say its a battery issue maybe lose connection now allowing it to recharge the drive battery. Unfortant, It started raining that day so I was not able to put it back in the water yet to double check my thoughts.

I have duel batteries everthing is ran off the main battery. The second battery is there for the 24V trolling motor. Would it be best to try to split some of the stuff between the two batteries? How would running the batteries in parrell with each other with a battery cutoff inbetween the two work. Example: Running to and from fishing spots have th connection active so the motor charges both batteries. While stopped looking for that Big Fish I can disconnnect the cutoff to only run on the second battery there is a 12v switch for my trolling motor.

Marine Batteries VS Auto Batteries: Is it so drastic that I need to run out and switch to Marine batteries today?

Sorry for covering a bunch of topics However, One post is better then 10 small ones.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1982 mercury 115hp outboard

After about 5-10 mins tring to get back to the dock I decieded that I would try to give it more throttle again, It came right up out of the water and took off. Anyone have had this problem before?

Yep...Tuned out my carbs were dirty.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 mercury 115hp outboard

Check that the motor is charging. the voltage should increase as the RPM increases. Run it up to 2000RPM and see if the voltage rises. If not, it is likely the rectifier is bad.

Secondly, when you rebuild the carbs you first clean all passages and blow them out. You normally replace all gaskets, and the inlet needle and seat, if they are not perfect. You inspect the float for cracking or deterioration, and replace as necessary. Set the float height and float drop and reassemble.