1982 Johnson 115 warm start dying problem

StillFishin'

Seaman
Hi guys. It?s been a while since I needed help from this forum but now I do so here goes.

1982 Johnson 115hp. I replaced the powerhead 8 years and it has run great up to last year. On some occasions, and only when the engine is warned up, I will motor some where and stop for say 5-10 minutes. Upon starting to leave I raise the warm up lever, turn the key (I don?t push the key in ?cause it?s warmed up), the engine will start up quickly, and when I put it in gear to move it will die. It will not fire up or make any signs of doing so. I?ve tried pushing in the key and squeezing the bulb and neither works. Last year the first time it happened I used the kicker to get back to the dock. In reading the service manual, I realized there is a red lever. This works like a champ. So far when an ?episode? happens I?ve been luck to be away form shore and not much wind so there was time to do the ?red lever? thing. I?m concerned it could happen in windy conditions when close to shore and I?ll end up on the rocks.

Several things that I have noticed in trying to figure where the problem is:
1. Squeeze bulb is hard and squeezing it doesn?t help.
2. Engine starts right up by turning the red lever on primer.
3. Warm up lever has a lot of free play but once engine is warmed up, engine revs up fine when lifted all the way up and returns to idle when in the down postion.
4. Reverse max speed is not much more than idle speed and I worry that it will die when backing up into a stiff wind but so far it doesn?t.
5. Engine starts great when cold( pushing in key of course)
6. I don?t push the key when starting it when warmed up.
7. I think it is more apt to die when I put it in gear and go slow like when leaving a dock.
8. Idle speed seems to be OK but I?m not sure what it is. It?s not to high so I was thinking maybe increasing it.

I think I have learned to work thru the ?episodes? by lifting and lowering the warm up lever several times and, then when in gear, getting the revs up as fast as I can.

Also any thoughts on how to get the free play out of the warm up lever? Any adjustments inside the control box or what to look for as I plan to open it up and take a look. Do you think the free play in the warm up lever has anything to do with the warm engine dying? I?ve opened up the control box before to replace some gear for some problem I don?t remember. I left my manual up north and won?t be able to get it for quite a while. Do you think the warm up lever has anything to do with the warm engine not restating? Boat is out of the water and I plan to winterize it soon so I?d like to get it fixed now while it is fresh in my mind. Also any idea what the idle speed should be while running it on the muffs in the driveway?

Any help would be appreciated All thoughts are welcome.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 1982 Johnson 115 warm start dying problem

If the primer solenoid only works when turning the red lever, something is not working.
Have you tried holding the key IN while cranking?
Should give the same effect as turning the lever.
Idle should be about 750 in gear, boat moving freely. Get a tach ans set it correct.
The idle speed lever in the remote may need some bushings replaced, or it may even be as simple as too much play/wrongly adjusted throttle cable at engine.
Give the engine a good run of Sea Foam or engine tuner to de-carbonize it.
What about the exhaust relief holes at the leg.
If they get 'buried' in water, back pressure gets too high and idle drops and engine might get difficult to start.
Try trimming up slightly.

StillFishin'

Seaman

Thanks for the rely, Haffiman.

I think the primer works as I can hear it click when I push the key in and , it works when the engine is cold when I do push the key in. I don't think I ever push the key in when the engine is warmed up as I thought might flood it and, it starts right up without pushing it in.

I forget to mention that I did decarbon it with Seafoam recently but a "warm die" still happened after the decarb.

I haven't tried trimming it up but will do so as well as taking a close look at the bushing and connections of the warm up lever when I take the control box apart.

Thanks again,

Stillfishin'

Haffiman

Commander

Quite often when choke is needed for a cold start, it indicates other problems.
Double check your 'link and synch'.
If carbs open too early and you lift the warm-up lever, the engine only gets air and no fuel.
Instead of using the choke-primer, do following test next time when starting hot engine:
Loosen the carb roller that goes on the cam, so throttle plates do not open when using throttle.
Then try to start by using the warm-up lever only.
(carbs stays closed, but ignition advances).
If engine starts, warms up and runs smooth and you may reduce the warm-up lever to an idle (neutral) about 900 rpm, your engine is probably ok.
Set the correct pick-up timing (when roller hits the mark at the cam) and go boating.
If not, do a comp test!