1982 Evinrude V-6 150hp Power tilt trim leaking down slowly

What could be wrong? I have read other post and they said to check the tilt trim fluid. Where is the resevor at? It looks like it is the orginal power tilt trim that came with the boat. I am the second owner and the first owner said he never had a problem with it and does not know where it is at. Any help is wanted.<br /> Thanks,<br /> Mo.CrappieFisherman

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1982 Evinrude V-6 150hp Power tilt trim leaking down slowly

my first thought would be the manual relief valve. You need le OEM manuel to troble shoot this system

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The PTT fluid reservoir is opposite the electric motor. Standing in back of the engine, the reservoir is on the starboard (right) side of the unit. You'll see a large slotted screw there which is the fill hole. That screw has a seal "O" Ring on the back of it.<br /><br />Have the engine is a extreme tilt up position, lock it there, then fill the reservoir to overflowing. That's it as it is self bleeding.<br /><br />The usual cause of a slow leak down is the rubber tipped relief valve that is under the oil pump.<br /><br />The manual release valve that RJ speaks of is within a hole in the lower portion of the starboard (right) transom bracket. Check to make sure it's tight. When releasing that valve to manually raise or lower the engine, do not back it out more than two turns.<br /><br />And as RJ states.... you want to have a OEM service manual on hand to service that unit.

I saw the slotted screw and I thought that was the right spot but I did not know for sure. So what I should try first is unscrew it and make sure I have enough fluid? It probably has not been added to since it was new. Then i will need to replace the o-ring right? Thanks for your input so far!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The "O" Ring on the reservoir screw is reusable unless of course it should become damaged.

The o-ring on the screw can be reused. i did not know that. thanks again Joe Reeves you are really helping me. if you have any more ideas please let me know. i really appreciate it. I am 19 and this is my first boat that I have owned and i am knew at all of the repairs, but i have been around boats for as long as i can remember just not the repairs.

NEW question? When I trim up I get a delay about half way up then it kicks back into gear at the right speed. Is this because I am low on T&T fluid? IT kinda does it on the way down but not loke it does on the way up.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The first 15° of movement up is the trim mode which is supposed to be slow. After that, it kicks in to tilt mode which is faster.

Thanks Joe Reeves you are really helping. So it is ok that it catches at about half way up. Into a faster speed?

Well i checked the tilt trim fluid it was a little low so I topped it off. It is still leaking down but not as fast. It also seems to be moving up a down faster. What else should I check or is it something that I will have to take it some where?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If the manual release valve is tight and not leaking, the leak down problem is usually a rubber tipped relief valve which is located under the oil pump (under the electric PTT motor).

What do I do to check that out? The left side right because to tilt trim fluid resivor was on the right side? Can I fix this myself?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You'll need to purchase a OMC service manual somewhere to guide you through that operation.

Joe Reeves is this the other slotted screw on the left side on the bottom of the cylinder?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

No, that's a check valve. In back of it is a shuttle valve that travels back and forth to another identical check valve depending on which mode (up/down) the unit is in at the time.<br /><br />The rubber tipped relief valve is vertical and under the oil pump. In order to obtain access to that relief valve, the electric motor must be removed, then remove the oil pump. Then and only then can the relief valve be seen.<br /><br />And like I said, that is the "usual cause" of a slow leak down.... but there can be other causes.

Thanks Joe Reeves. After I added the fluid it is still falling like I said earlier bit the more I have run it up and down the slower it is falling. Before it would only take 20 min. or so to fall, and now it is a couple of hours or more.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Perhaps you'll be lucky and the leakage is due to a piece of dirt etc which is washing away with use.

FAV453

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"You'll need to purchase a OMC service manual somewhere to guide you through that operation."<br />The main manual doesn't have the tilt trim detailed assembly in it. The manual refers you to a "Accessories Manual". Is there a online source for a detailed assembly drawing of this system? I am having my own tilt trim problems and need some help.