1982 Evinrude 35 lower unit

flash1977

Cadet
The gear set is bad in the lower unit on my dad's 35. I told him I would buy the parts and replace the gear set in the foot. However, I have since lost my job and cannot afford to replace the gears.

The question, I guess, is will a lower unit off a 1983 25 work? Would this change the horsepower to 25 or would it remain 35? How is the horsepower measured on these motors?

I have checked google and this forum and cannot find the answers to these questions. A friend is giving the 25 to me after slinging a rod in his powerhead so if this will work, this will probably be the route I will go.

Thanks in advance.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 1982 Evinrude 35 lower unit

Can't say if the lower will fit although it should but no, it won't lower the power of the engine, the lower just transfers the power to the water.

Someone will be along and let you know if those 2 will interchange, if not I have seen lowers on Ebay for that horse power for less thna $100.

flash1977

Cadet
Re: 1982 Evinrude 35 lower unit

id odes not look like the drive shafts are compatible. you can check out parts here. http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=bf6ad09c53cead335fcfd8a6471c0f7f
I was checking that out and here is what I can not find out...Would it be possible to change the drive shaft from the 35 lower unit into this other lower unit or would I just be better off trying to find a complete lower unit. I still haven't found one in my price range. Also, I tried to take the lower unit off the motor a while ago and got everything disconnected except for the linkage to the gearshifter. I cannot figure out how to get that loose. Does it come off on the powerhead or is there somewhere else do disconnect it?

Thanks again.