1982 ELPT, Inline 6 boggs down after 3/4 throttle

bassmani

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All,
My inline 6 has always ran great (excluding the cold start), but this past weekend, it started to bog down after 3/4 throttle. Runs fine to 3/4, but after i hit it down all the way, it boggs down.
Where do i begin? Gas, spark plugs, etc.
thx

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 ELPT, Inline 6 boggs down after 3/4 throttle

Plugs are usually high speed problems, fuel low speed or acceleration.

I'd do a decarb (search) and then when it has cleaned up all the smoke, then put in a new set of plugs just like are in there as apparently they worked fine for you.

Mark

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Bass, That is a symptom of a fuel delivery problem. Clean the filter screen on the fuel pump. If you have "backdrag" carbs, there is also a screen under the brass fittings in each bowel cover. If you have standard carbs, there is a filter under a cover on the bowel cover. Check the gas tank vent for obstruction, and the primer bulb for proper operation. The one way valves in the primer bulb must work for the motor to have enough flow. If this doesn't fix it, rebuild the fuel pump.

bassmani

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Chris1956 and TexasMark,

I will try both of the suggestions. I just did want to go messing around with too much. I want to start on the basic stuff 1st. Could be something simple. I do know that i have never done a decarb on this engine since i have had it and it was ran great for 3 years now.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Chris is right too, but usually I find those problems when hole shooting when the engine is under max stress.

Until you do a decarb, you don't know what you're missing. If your performance was good, after decarb it will be stellar.

Mark