1982 70 hp Evinrude losing power

erie2009

Recruit
I've got a problem that sounds similar to yours. Any input would help:

I've got a 1982 70 hp evinrude. It starts good. Sounds good at idle. Last week went out and it wouldn't get over 7 mph. RPM's only about 2500 and engine sounded bogged down. Replaced primer bulb, took it out a couple days ago and ran great for 10 minute trip out, shut it down, fished for 30 minutes. Started up again and ran good for another 10 minutes. I went to take off again and it dropped down on RPM's and was bogged down. Yesterday, I replaced the hose fittings on both ends of the fuel line and the same thing happened. It ran great for two 10 minute trips, then went to come back in and it wouldn't get up to power. It seems to rev up every 5 seconds or so for a split second and then drops back down. Pumping the primer bulb while running doesn't do anything. Water seems to be flowing good. I changed out the lower gear unit oil and it seemed okay. It does drip excess oil from behind the prop, but it doesn't match the lower gear unit oil so I figure it must be unburned oil from the mix. Any guesses?

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 70 hp Evinrude losing power

What do your plugs look like?

Put some gas in a glass jar & look at it. crap in gas?

Tom B.
(LongLine)

erie2009

Recruit

Plugs don't look too bad. Some oil on them after running a while after being bogged down. I'll change them again and see if there is a change. Gas was fresh to begin the season and have refilled a few times. Don't know why it would run good for a while then start acting up.

lostinboat

Seaman

try checking your coils. I have a 83 90hp johnson that would lose power and then surge and lose power again. I found 2 bad coils. replaced both and motor is back to full power and running smooth. hope this helps.

erie2009

Recruit

Just put in new plugs, purchased a new gas tank (I needed one anyway), and new fuel. Same problem. Boat took off fine and ran wide open for a few minutes and then power dropped off. I guess I'll move on to the coils. What's the best way to check them?