1982 40 hp merc outboard ignition coil basic question

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
By no means do i know what im doing but i have a manual for my motor and am trying to learn as i go, but i dont see anything about this in the manual.. So here it is.

As i am rebuilding my motor (swaping out old parts with new, gaskets, plugs, wires etc) i removed the ignition coils, and what appears to be a ground wire that comes out from the inside of it just happened to fray and break off. My question is, can i replace this cable somehow? Or should i just buy two new coils? The motor ran fine before i took it apart, and i havent put it back together yet cause i see no point in doing so if this is now a broken part.

Also, as im looking online for the part, i dont see this cable im speaking of in the pictures of the new part.. Am i just missing it or l should it be there once i get the part even though i dont see it in the pic.

Attached are a few pics, one of a coil with the cable i speak of attached (not a pic of my coil) another pic of the coil i see from the marine site i would be puchasing the new coils from, and the last one is a pic of my actual coil with the broken off cable.

I appreciate any help i can get. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• photo245892.png
    photo245892.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo245893.png
    photo245893.png
    305.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo245894.jpg
    photo245894.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo245895.jpg
    photo245895.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 0

sam60

Captain
I can't help mb. Hope a person with experience will give advice here.